For Sale:  1941 Buick Special Coupe, Series 40-A - $19,500 - Fletcher, NC - Not Mine

For Sale: 1941 Buick Special Coupe, Series 40-A - $19,500 - Fletcher, NC

1941 Buick Special for sale by owner - Fletcher, NC - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1941 Buick Special Coupe. Original, in good condition. Everything works but the radio and clock. Selling due to health reasons. Odometer shows 81XXX and I don't have any reason to believe that isn't the original miles.
Copy and paste in your email: 8e63a4bc4ef731ef99f1984f21f079c4@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Buick Special Coupe, Series 40-A.

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC a.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC b.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC c.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC d.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC e.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC f.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC g.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC h.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC i.jpg

• Like 5

I have seen this car before but not sure where. So this car has been for sale for a while. The car looks very nice. The price is within the ballpark. However it doesn't have the compound carburetion. It does have the heater and the radio. The steering wheel looks like it's been recast and overall the car looks well maintained. I like these Buick coupes and would love to see it but it's located on the wrong coast! GLWTS

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have not seen this car, but Fletcher, NC is a very short distance from where I live. So PM me if interested and I will try to take a look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The engine is the wrong color.  I wonder if it has a later engine.  The picture of the seat is so poor that you can't tell if it's the original-type upholstery.  Otherwise, it's a nice car from what can be seen.

14 hours ago, kingrudy said:

I have not seen this car, but Fletcher, NC is a very short distance from where I live. So PM me if interested and I will try to take a look.

That is very classy of you @kingrudy       I am not in the market for this car but if I was I would appreciate your help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The engine is the wrong color.

Actually, it depends on which photo you're looking at.  In the ad, there are some photos that show a black engine (usually an indication of a factory rebuilt engine) and other photos that show the engine in the correct "Dante Red" color.  The paint in the red engine photos looks pretty fresh, so I'm assuming that they are the more recent photos.  The steering wheel looks more like it's been filled and painted than recast.

This looks like a pretty nice car, but I think the price is a tad high for this "junior" model -- the least expensive Buick you could get in '41, built on the Chevy "A" body with a 118" wheelbase.  I thought of Mike @kingrudy as soon as I saw the location.  Someone should send him out there to take a look -- I bet he could get the seller to knock the price down a bit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

Actually, it depends on which photo you're looking at.  In the ad, there are some photos that show a black engine (usually an indication of a factory rebuilt engine) and other photos that show the engine in the correct "Dante Red" color.  The paint in the red engine photos looks pretty fresh, so I'm assuming that they are the more recent photos.  The steering wheel looks more like it's been filled and painted than recast.

This looks like a pretty nice car, but I think the price is a tad high for this "junior" model -- the least expensive Buick you could get in '41, built on the Chevy "A" body with a 118" wheelbase.  I thought of Mike @kingrudy as soon as I saw the location.  Someone should send him out there to take a look -- I bet he could get the seller to knock the price down a bit!

Neil:

Thanks for the information that the Dante Red is correct engine color for this series Buick.  I omitted the photos as I was unsure if they showed this car since those showing a black engine appear to have been taken outside in the same light as the other photos.  The red paint appears to be a quick, haphazard job with overspray on surrounding components,

Steve

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC j.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC k.jpg

'41 Buick Special Coupe NC l.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 40 and the engine is black.  The engine number stamped on the right side of the block shows no indications of being a factory replacement. I know that there are publications (AACA judging handbook, etc) stating that the engines for 1940 Buicks are gray but I question if that was for all models.  Spoke to Doug Seybold and he says that applies for the 320 engines, not necessarily the 248's.  Since that conversation I have paid attention to engine colors in 40 and 50 series cars listed on the web and found that there are quite a few black engines out there.  When I sanded my valve cover I went down to the metal and I saw no traces of gray in the sanding process.  But I must say, the these cars are approximately 80 years old; anything car happen.

As far as price goes the the 41 listed above I think some where between 17,500 and 19,000 is about right.  This car has been for sale for a while which tells me that the seller ain't budging on his price and if that's true it better be a very nice car!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 10:32 AM, Jim Skelly said:

The engine is the wrong color.  I wonder if it has a later engine.  The picture of the seat is so poor that you can't tell if it's the original-type upholstery.  Otherwise, it's a nice car from what can be seen.

Engine was repainted the proper color recently. 

In my opinion he should have left that engine color black.  Usually doing a project such as painting the motor on this car does more harm than good.  In this case that is true!  If you look at this picture you can see a lot of black showing through the red paint on the side cover and the valve cover.  There's overspray on some of the wiring as well.  A black engine wouldn't deter me from buying it if everything else checked out.  But a quick and dirty paint job just means I have re-do all the the work the seller screwed up to get looking correct.  I might even go back to black!

41BuickSpecialCoupeNCk.jpg.2e9089d3d12aabe1dab4bd13cb483d26.jpg

• Like 1

I went a few years ago and test drove it, was thinking of buying , in my opinion it needed to be around 17-18 but it seemed solid, had some issues but he was at 20 then, if mem serves me, but would not take offers then. Nice guy though.