your thoughts? <-Perfect example of clickbait.

I have a '31 8-57 with engine needing help. It currently looks like it is going to be expensive, if even possible, to overhaul. So far I have not found the engine kit , Kantor does not have them. 

Now, I am a strong proponent of restoring the old girls, or at least leave them as stock as possible, but not for hot rodding. However, with the challenge as it is to rebuild the engine in this one, I was pondering the idea of putting some sort of '60's-'70's four or six cylinder and automatic in it. a side benefit of this plan would be my wife could also drive it. 

Anyone know if there was any 4/6 cylinder engine that came with a DynaFlo and would mate to the torque tube? I think the 322/401 would be too heavy.

Any other ideas/thoughts? 

Edited by Lou McCarrell (see edit history)

• Ronnie changed the title to your thoughts? <-Perfect example of clickbait.

You seem to have 2 wants

• new engine
  • automatic (for wife)

A lot of car for a 4 cylinder.  But has been done.. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/374565-1940-buick-ecoboost/

The torque tube ~ differential will be a big issue and big $$$.

I would keep looking for another 1931 engine.  Check if later straight 8's fit?

Maybe a 1948 -1952 straight 8 with dynaflow that used a torque tube.  But not easy or cheap.  A lot of engineering.

Edit

Want another 8-57

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/413157-1932-buick-57-series-sedan/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

That '31 is a 114" wheelbase so I would figure the torque tube would have to go no matter which way you went for the updated engine.

If you can swallow that the field is wide open.

My apologies for the 'click bait' title, it was not meant to be so. I belong to an antique tractor forum, and that very title is very common, short and to the point. I am also a member of two flying related forums and they each have their own character too. I'm sure as time goes on I will learn to fit in here as well. Thanks for your patience! 

• Like 1