Buick 1940 New surprise

Today i did have a new surprise  The left king pin ( Front ) pivotes at the bottom of the pin on a treaded bolt .I see that the tread is gone and the pin moves freely front to rear or vice versa.What is a remedy for this problem .Other king pin support or new bolt ?

Are you talking about the small pin perpendicular to the kingpin that intersects the kingpin bore in the knuckle and holds the kingpin in place?  I think it is item "AG" in the figure...

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Are you talking about the small pin perpendicular to the kingpin that intersects the kingpin bore in the knuckle and holds the kingpin in place?  I think it is item "AG" in the figure...

The kingpin L pivotes on AH bushing and is there a pin AG that keeps the kingpin in the middle of the bushing .I  didn't know .At this moment the kingpin sits completely in the front of the bushing AH and not in the middle like on the other side .I take a good look tomorrow after i will clean the grease and dirt from the other side

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hallo ,no its not that pin .I looked at ebay and there you can buy ,, lower outer pin kit,,and there is the problem.The king pin is moving freely on the outer pin kit , the king pin sits now completely in the front on the bushing instead of in the middle like on the other side .I did not take it apart yet to see where the problem is .i hope the king pin bottom support  is not worn out .

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

daniel,   how about a picture?

Ben

Ben its very simple , the kingpin L moves on the bushing AH front to rear and vice versa .Sits at this moment in  the front  where it normally sits in the middle .Sorry , i am a bad picture taker and then put it on the net ...wow ...sorry

3 minutes ago, daniel boeve said:

Ben its very simple , the kingpin L moves on the bushing AH front to rear and vice versa .Sits at this moment in  the front  where it normally sits in the middle .Sorry , i am a bad picture taker and then put it on the net ...wow ...sorry

Sorry its the support L instead of the king pin that has to much play on the bushing AH

Parts L & AH have threads.

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual for free. All of it section by section.

Or click the pdf link to pay.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942

1942 Buick Shop Manual 9-9 (229) Steering.jpg

1942 Buick Shop Manual 9-10 (230) Steering.jpg

1942 Buick Shop Manual 9-7 (227) Steering.jpg

1942 Buick Shop Manual 9-8 (228) Steering.jpg

1942 Buick Shop Manual 15-3 (347) Drawings.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1