1922 Big Six transmission

Hello My Studebaker friends.  I am looking for a 1922 Studebaker Big 6 transmission to use as a spare.   What have you?  Think Spring.   Don in central Ohio   740-816-4284

You should post pics and casting numbers from yours. Its hard to know from  what year the transmissions we might have sitting around could be. Unless someone is s super super expert they might have one but not know it. 

There are a few out there but not many. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don - I have several transmissions (none are the same style case as my '24 Special six so they must of been making revisions or changing suppliers).  Three have dates and one is possibly older.  I plant to keep the one dated '23 but the others would be available (not sure if they fit Big 6 - as Linus stated we would need to verify the casting numbers).  Let me know what you think. 

thanks

Tony

Central PA

20240401_210539[1].jpg

20240401_210609[1].jpg

Tony,

that trans on the let with the lock sticking up is very similar to my 21. I suspect not correct for the 22 that don has, I would like to buy it if possible. 

What is your asking price? And lets compare the casting numbers.

Linus

There were  a number of different transmissions fitted into the same case. They had different gearing ratios. There were lots of options from 3.7 to 1 up to 5 to 1. They all take the same case so ought to fit any of the cars. Internals are different depending on the gear ratio in the transmission.

• Like 1

The earlier transmissions/ pre 1922 had a sliding gear transmission lock. The difference in ratios according to the parts book are all in the high and intermediate sliding gears. The low and reverse sliding gears are part number 31919 for both transmission cases.

• Like 1

For the older transmission, I've attached a close up of the case #, and also took the top off.  Did not clean and fully inspect, but I didn't see any teeth missing or severe chips -of course everything looks good with 100 year oil turned to grease on it!

thanks

Tony

20240403_205020[1].jpg

20240403_212757[1].jpg

The 31889 part number included the plugs in the case. Bohn (aluminum casting supplier) would have only provided the case to Studebaker so that 31890 part number cast into the case was probably only referenced between Studebaker and Bohn. The parts book only includes the case with the drain and fill plugs and not the bare case so the info that @studeboy provided should be what you need.

I am uploading the pages from the 1919 to 1922 parts book. Hard to get some in the fold. This should have value as it gives all the timken bearing and cup numbers if you need to rebuild one of these transmissions.

transmissions.jpeg

transmissions 1.jpeg

• Like 2

I think a reasonable solution here would be:

I sell my 22 trans to Don

I buy tonys early box 

Henry Buys the remaining as he is happy to fit whatever transmission he can get. l

Alternatively, I need the main shaft and gears from an early trans and henry has most of an early trans so we could share that one since I think henry already has the parts that I need in his incomplete unit. 

7 hours ago, Linus Tremaine said:

Here is my spare transmission which I believe is 1922

1922 makes sense as that is when the housing part number changed to the 6 digit format. Again, the housing only part number is not captured in the Studebaker part manual (only the housing with plugs is shown) so the 100134 number was probably just a Studebaker/Bohn reference number.

• Like 1