Tips for mounting 33x4 tires

BobinVirginia

I’m sure this has probably been discussed before. I have Firestone wedge ring style rims which are very rigid and 33x4 tires. I’ve mounted many modern tires but I’ve never dealt with these old type rims. Is it just gonna be tire spoon, soapy water and brute force or is there anything else that will help? 
Please let me know what worked for you if you will. 

• Like 1

It shouldn't take much force. It should be relatively easy to pop the ends in place. You may need a small bottle jack and a couple of scraps of 2x4 to press it out. There used to be 2 kinds of tools for this. The 3 legged crank device and a simple handle system that went in the holes on the side of the rim so you could push it over.  

sorry I don't have a picture of the second one.

tire tool.PNG

• Like 3

I use Oltech method. About 5 lbs of air is needed to keep the tube straight while installing. When finished release all air and use bottle jack to bring both ends together and then inflate.

• Like 1

This  method worked for my 21 Paige with 33x4 tires.  I cut 2 pieces of 2x6 .  used a jack similar to shown in pictures,  Split of rim is onright side.  Don't recall who sent me this picturesplitrim2.gif.43512b3b6ae3e74b9be6a07456c51a6d.gif.ab5f43bd4f205d7b88c2a9eae2d2c998.gif

• Like 8

They make a tool around $10. that has a cable and T-handle.   You pass the cable through the hole in the rim and screw it onto the tire valve stem. It is used to pull the valve stem through the rim hole.  They are easy to find online.  Slow and easy is the word.  I put the tube into the tire casing then the flap and install the rim last. 

• Like 1

Bob, when you are done will you please come do mine. North Georgia is not that far away honest. I have the same rims and size tires and have been fighting them. I know I am doing something stupidly wrong, but cannot get my rims to expand back out to connect the ends. I am going to try the half circle wood bucks that was shown above. 

Wish the best for you.

Eric

• Like 1