65 electra late 65 model????????????????

dlcoop

Check the build date on the body tag (ref. below).  I'd call March '65 or after 'late' and anything built in '64 'early'.  If it's Jan/Feb '65, then I don't know -- might be either style.

image.png.9364061a9a5902e0be533a54493e2782.png

@EmTee  How do you tell via the referenced body plate?  There does not appear to be a production date.  Best I can guess one would have to know the range of body numbers and then guess at if the particular car was built earlier or later.  But even that would not be reliable information.

@dlcoop  It might help if you disclose what convertible top parts you are researching.  While I do not have a parts book that would be useful, maybe some others do, and can at least give you the range of part numbers, unless you already have them.  Sometimes the parts manuals will disclose early vs late parts with these numbers.

I cannot see a build date on my tag either.  Just the serial number.  214,081 are the last numbers.   Was just thinking of replacing the chrome sun visor housings as they are worn out and expensive.  May try to bush them out a little. 

In looking for "Sunshade Supports Buick Electra 1965" in Google, I remembered that something which could be this generic in GM should also fit other GM cars.  From my years in GM Parts, that part probably is not unique to that model year of Electra.  Most, I suspect, would also be chromed.  In which case, I found a complete set of TWO supports, chromed, with attaching screw AND the plastic bushings which replace same in the sun visor itself for less than $30.00.  Might not be an exact exact match, but definitely useable, I suspect.

In GM Parts language, the "sun visor" is "sunshade".  The "support" is what the sunshade slides onto, on its "spike" end.  The "bushing" is the plastic piece which slides into the sunshade, which the spike end of the support slides into and is tight (adjustable with the screw in the sunvisor) so the sunshade stays adjusted as desired, up and down.

Just curious, where are you looking for these things?

FWIW,

NTX5467

What I have found is Late 65 to 1970 are the same in all G.M. 63- early 65 are the same. I remember reading the difference is something to do with the header panel being cast or plate steel but cannot confirm as in my old age forgot where I read that at. Was looking on e-bay and they are $130 plus each.  Mine are chrome as I suspect they all are. Mine are pitted and the area where the visor shaft goes in is worn out.  Maybe a brass paper thin shim????????? I can polish out the chrome as mine is a driver  and not  a show car. 

• Thanks 1

All header panels should be plate steel.  Welded together as on a hardtop or sedan.  In the body parts illustrations, that's what is indicated.  Rebuilding your parts might be the best option.  I'll continue to dig through the 72 and prior Buick part books I have downloaded.

NTX5467

On 2/23/2024 at 1:54 PM, JohnD1956 said:

How do you tell via the referenced body plate?

You're right - I saw 'sequence' and somehow thought 'date', as later years included a build date.  Sorry for the confusion...

Each plant has their own sequence and starting digit of the sequence number.  This can loosely relate to the date the production order was scheduled for production.  Low digits past the first plant-digit to high numbers at each plant might give an idea of "early", but "late" would depend upon when that plants sequence numbers stopped for the model year.  Same for the VIN number of the vehicle.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1