1911 Brush Delivery for sale $18000 not mine

Rare 1911 Brush Light Delivery which has an older restoration; at one time it had been in Austin Clark’s Long Island Automotive Museum. The truck was manufactured by the Brush Runabout Company formally The Brush Motor Car Company.

Asking $ 18,000 OBO Call Ben show contact info
Call Only No Texting *****************************

This truck is outside of my area of knowledge and interest (and budget), but were headlights not required, or just missing?  I understand on some vehicles headlights were optional extras, I see the side lights, but they couldn't have given any illumination for night  driving. Maybe it only made daytime deliveries and survived because of extremely light use.

• Like 1

Rules varied by state, however, most states did not require headlamps until sometime after this car was built. Even Ford's model T did not come standard with headlamps in 1909. 

California did not require automobiles to have headlamps until 1921.

• Like 3

Yes, it did indeed bring back memories - I read the title and thought immediately - "Austin had one of those I rode in probably at least twice" and sure enough it was the same vehicle. Neat machine and not huge but very tall!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Rules varied by state, however, most states did not require headlamps until sometime after this car was built. Even Ford's model T did not come standard with headlamps in 1909. 

California did not require automobiles to have headlamps until 1921.

That is a fascinating fact! I guess no  one had headlights on their horse, so why would a car need them? 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

What kind of front suspension did this have? Looks like independent coil springs. 

The Brush is famous for their wooden axles, wooden frame, and silly suspension! And by "frame", we mean the chassis frame, not the framework for the body, although they do have that also! They were not the only car with a wooden chassis frame, Franklin being the other best known maker with that feature, but there were others. Other cars with wooden axles are few and far between. 

As for the suspension, all four corners have a steel rod extending up from the axle, through a cast iron bracket on the chassis frame, and on above to where the coil spring is attached to the rod. The lower end of the coil spring is attached to the cast iron bracket on the chassis frame, and the chassis frame supporting the body and engine and basically everything else is literally hanging down on the coil springs!

The whole thing actually works quite well at the speeds the Brush was intended to be driven (top speed is generally between 20 and 25 mph). (This heavy body delivery truck is likely a bit slower?) The Brush runabouts and roadsters are fairly popular with the "one and two cylinder" crowd. In good mechanical condition and somewhat sorted, they are not the fastest one cylinder cars, but are fairly reliable as long as they don't have to do too much hill climbing.

I like them, and have come close to buying one a few times.

• Like 2