Aluminum Dual Plane Intake for Nailheads

XframeFX

Arrived this AM via FEDEX form T/A Performance.

I'm "done' with major expenses on my forever Riviera project. But, I've been waiting for this after realizing I'll never locate a super rare 1-year only 1966 Nailhead spread bore Intake.

This is a better solution being only 13.5 lbs. Would be nice to have an aluminum distributor as well.

I wanted to keep an original look for my '63 and that included the engine compartment. But a change here and there and now no elements for the pancake air cleaner, I'm willing to deviate if my Nailhead will no longer behave like a pig.

Rochester 4MV Q-Jets are still plentiful in local wrecking yards. Now I have an intake manifold to mount one! However, I'll run the original AFB for now.

Notice round ports for the exhaust cross-over to accept included plugs. I would've preferred carburetor studs in lieu of the four plugs. The cross-over is open to all 4-ports.

Some measurements showing 7.5" height to air cleaner and dashpot bracket alignment:

DSC04742_Crop1.JPG

DSC04745_Crop1.JPG

DSC04746_Crop1.JPG

DSC04747.JPG

DSC04748_Crop1.JPG

DSC04748_LoRes.JPG

• Like 4

Unless that manifold is going to boost 2000-3000rpm torque, it could well "more-pig" things until the secondaries open, especially with a DynaFlow.

Get some black, hard carb studs from the auto supply.  Normal nuts, with flat washers, though.  Then the OEM thick spacer/insulator carb base gasket.  Leave the exh crossover plugs in the bag.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

Just bought a ‘66 spread bore intake with a rebuilt 66 Quadrajet. Didn’t brake the bank either. I’d looked at TA’s intake but the ‘66 seemed the better choice for me. Will use it on the spare 401 nailhead that’s next year’s project.

Ray

As a side note. If you do come across one of these, contact Jon @carbking about locating a service replacement for the original ‘66 carburetor.  In ‘66, the Q-jet was brand new.  By ‘72 or so, when the service replacement became available, the bugs associated with the original carburetor had been worked out.  The service replacement is a direct bolt-on with all the ‘66 linkages but all the bugs have been worked out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

the bugs associated with the original carburetor had been worked out.  The service replacement is a direct bolt-on with all the ‘66 linkages but all the bugs have been worked out.

"Service Replacement" is a whole Unit or a kit? What about the linkage? I'd prefer a 1966-67 Q-Jet with the primary shaft for the ST-400 compound switch.

I went to the trouble swapping a variable pitch primary shaft into my original #3503 AFB. Can do the same with a Q-Jet if needed.

It appears used and rebuilt 4MVs are-a-plenty out there. There's even a rebuilt '66 Unit sitting on a shelf my side of the border for only $389 CAD. Not sure if it would've received the Service Replacement.

I've heard by 1968 Q-Jet bugs were worked-out, different sources.

Here's a 1967 Rochester 4MV on a 430 in a wrecking yard. It has the Variable Pitch Bellcrank:

image.png.427d065bb292a1e8c957a5f18503deb4.png

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

The service replacement is a complete carburetor

Ah, Rochester #7041304. I've been looking out for that carburetor for a few years now. There were some NOS 7041304s available online for a hefty price and will require R&R.

I don't care, any 4MV will do. It will be covered by the air cleaner. I just want the Buick 4MV base for 1966 & 67 as in the image or, just the primary shaft for the bell-crank.

You'd think if the Service Replacement was implemented on large scale, there'd be a glut of the original Rochester #7026240s out there. Again, I only want the primary shaft.

If I were to veer away from that bell-crank, there's always Edelbrock. They offer a spreadbore.

FYI, there appears to be Rochester #7043109 with the Buick bell-crank.

"Service Replacement" was NOT a recall issue, just a carburetor which would fit particular applications in particular model years, sold by GM Parts.  Certainly, it would have the latest upgrades and such, just as the GM Reman Automatic Transmissions/Transaxles have all of the upgrades done to them so the customer gets a current-OEM version rather than what they had when the vehicle was new.

There might have been a Buick TSB issued to let the dealers' parts and service people know about the newly-available carburetor.  Still, not a "Recall Notice" situation.

NTX5467