Valve lifter question (430)

Mister Fab

Check the push rods in your engine and buy the corresponding lifters.  I believe early engines lubricated the valvetrain via the rocker shaft.  At some point a change was made and oil was sent up from the lifters through hollow push rods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Check the push rods in your engine and buy the corresponding lifters.  I believe early engines lubricated the valvetrain via the rocker shaft.  At some point a change was made and oil was sent up from the lifters through hollow push rods.

I believe buick started oiling through the push rods when the 455 came out in 1971. The solid push rods are the correct ones for your 430 assuming you are using the original rockers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mister Fab said:

I need to replace the lifters on my 430.

OMG, do your research! Sourcing GOOD flat tappet lifters will be even MORE DIFFICULT from France! Here in Canada I was able to visit local speed shops and examine the product and packaging.

Lifters for hollow pushrods will work with solid pushrods but NOT the other way.

For Nailheads, advise is to purchase Chevrolet flat tappet lifters (hollow pushrods but again, don't matter) and use a hybrid pushrod with different size ball ends. Not sure on 1969 and older BBBs. It seems quality Chev Lifters are available.

All 16 Lifters require replacement? Original camshaft?

Not fear mongering but, camshaft failures in my circle. Blaming poor quality Flat Tappet Lifters.

https://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1405J

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Did the lobes the worn lifters were on ALSO show similar wear?  If so, it's "camshaft time", too.

It is better to use far too much moly paste assy lube than not.  Plus some high-zddp motor oil for the cam break-in procedures.

NTX5467