Purpose of this condenser

One wire condenser mounted under the dash, next to the circuit breaker.

1933 Lincoln

Factory harness schematic does not reference this, which does not surprise me.

Can someone explain the purpose of this condenser and if these have specific parameters that I need to find in a replacement.

20240206_163757.jpg

20240206_170354.jpg

The capacitor is for suppression of electrical noise which affects radios.  Usually, they are mounted near electrical motors (wipers), ignition coil, and generator.  Electrical values are typically 1 or 2 microfarads.  You should be able to buy a decent one for $10 or so, don't need to spend $30-$50.  If you don't have a radio in the car, you don't need one, though sometimes they are used so other cars don't pick up static from your car.  But, then, who is listening to AM radio now?

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

The capacitor is for suppression of electrical noise which affects radios.  Usually, they are mounted near electrical motors (wipers), ignition coil, and generator.  Electrical values are typically 1 or 2 microfarads.  You should be able to buy a decent one for $10 or so, don't need to spend $30-$50.  If you don't have a radio in the car, you don't need one, though sometimes they are used so other cars don't pick up static from your car.  But, then, who is listening to AM radio now?

Alrighty then...... Definitely no radio in this car, not now and no indication there ever was. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

The capacitor is for suppression of electrical noise… But, then, who is listening to AM radio now?

If I just happen to have an old Ford that was converted to 12 volt with alternator and have some ignition noise through the radio, what circuit would I mount this in?   I like my AM radio crisp and clear.   

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Did someone have an underdash/aftermarket unit installed at some point? 

There is no indication of anything, other than a spotlight, added to this car after it came from the factory. 

The condenser can also be installed to extend the life of contacts on switches. I have worked on British cars that installed the on power window and windshield wiper switches.

They will reduce arcing where the full load is being switched.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The condenser can also be installed to extend the life of contacts on switches. I have worked on British cars that installed the on power window and windshield wiper switches.

They will reduce arcing where the full load is being switched.

Taking the installation location into consideration, that seems very plausible. It looks like it was installed on the headlight circuit.