Source for New 65 Riviera AC Filter Drier

kdml

As the title states.  I am looking to replace the ac filter drier on my '65.  I keep finding a model from Four Seasons part number 33215.  One of the reviewers on Amazon stated it does not have a sight glass; however, when I look at the same part on Rockauto it states it includes a sight glass. 

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-33215-Filter-Drier/dp/B000DCNEIA/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=1Sd9V&content-id=amzn1.sym.35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063%3Aamzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=35cab78c-35e3-4fc1-aab0-27eaa6c86063&pf_rd_r=F5QB9VKEX5NKGN9T54WQ&pd_rd_wg=o8WoU&pd_rd_r=fa56d3df-568c-4966-84a4-92a690dead6f&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=814840&cc=1319329&pt=6972&jsn=872

Anyone have any experience with this part from Four Seasons?  Does it have the sight glass?

Thanks

Doug

Doug, I bought what I believe is the same Four Seasons part through Summit and was disappointed to find out it didn't have a sight glass, despite the picture.  I'm running it anyway, but if you find a better replacement, please let us know.

Good luck,

MrFreeze

Tom is dead right  here , Doug  when you brought this  up i went to my garage to find the new one 

i purchased about  a year ago, because i  opened my  lines to fit new orings  back then and new i would require this 

when i  re charge  my A/C next year.---4 seasons as well.---before and after photos.

IMG_2425.JPG ac.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG ac.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replacement driers often have a piece of cardboard applied over the sight glass before they are painted, as illustrated. Having stated that, often replacement driers do not have a sight glass because the sight glass was no longer a legitimate tool for service/troubleshooting when R134 was introduced. Bottom line is whether one trusts the picture and we all know that is very questionable. It wouldn`t surprise me to find a particular manufacturer alternately supplying both versions at the same time.

Maybe a call to Four Seasons engineering or sales departments would be your best bet? Or have your auto parts retailer order the drier with the understanding that if it doesn`t have the sight glass you will return it?

Tom Mooney

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall on some new GM cars from the middle 1960s, when the driers were painted, there was a cup-shaped plastic cap over the sight glass.  It was there to keep the glass from being painted and left there.  Many people pulled them off and chunked them as "not needed" or "They should have discarded them after painting them".

Years ago, I received a "listening device" to use to listen for bubbles when charging an automotive a/c system.  It works well as to hearing the bubbles go through the lines.  For use either as a replacement for watching the sight glass or for systems which did not have one.  When I got it as a door prize, I had never heard of such things, but I have one.

Of course, you know you can go into the Four Seasons website and look around before buying anything!  Might even be a "Buyer's Guide" section with pictures and specs of the items in the back of the catalog, too.  Summit is just one of their re-sellers, just as Amazon is.

NTX5467