1933 Chrysler CQ Straight 8 Engine Removal

Ray J Rada

I am preparing to remove the engine for the first time from this type of car and I'm wondering what would be the steps to remove it. Should I start removing the gear box first or is there any thoughts on what steps to take? I would also appreciate any recommendations on a shop that rebuilds Chrysler straight 8 engines. I am located in Southern California, but would take the engine out of state to a knowledgeable shop, Thank you in advance for your response.

In short , I would remove the hood, radiator shell and radiator and remove the engine/trans as a unit. While the engine is being repaired you could clean everything up in the engine area. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your recommendation. I have already removed the hood, radiator, and headlights from the car. I am now wondering how difficult it would be to 

remove engine and gear box together, considering the combined weight of the engine which is approximately 700 pounds plus the weight of the gear box and clutch housing. I do have a cherry picker for removing the engine. 

3 minutes ago, Ray J Rada said:

Thank you for your recommendation. I have already removed the hood, radiator, and headlights from the car. I am now wondering how difficult it would be to 

remove engine and gear box together, considering the combined weight of the engine which is approximately 700 pounds plus the weight of the gear box and clutch housing. I do have a cherry picker for removing the engine. 

As I did on my 1931 Dodge, I would remove the gearbox first, then the engine. That is a LOT of weight together.

3 hours ago, Ray J Rada said:

I do have a cherry picker for removing the engine. 

My recommendation is to buy a cherry picker.   Winching it out on a ceiling joist is no fun.  Plus once you have one you'll be amazed how much you use it, money well spent.

I would also buy a engine sling.     This is a horizontal bar with a  hook and  4 chains  ( two on each end) that you can attach to each corner of the engine.  The horizontal bar has a lead screw on it which by turning you can change the point of balance.  This and a "Cherry Picker" would be a good investment.  You can find several cherry pickers on facebook market price at a good price.

• Like 1

Thank you for your input. I do have a two ton cherry picker and  I will purchase the horizontal bar with the four chains. The only challenge I am going to have is where

to attach the four chains to the engine. On the one side I can attach the chains to the exhaust manifold hole but on the other side will be a challenge on where to

attach the chains. 

That is a good idea to remove the tranny separate from the engine. 

You will find the transmission will be heavy and your will be in a confined space.  Once again you can find a used transmission jack on craigslist.  or marketplace in the $50. Dollar range.  You could take off the transmission shifter handle or top plate to make the package smaller.