Ancient Air Compressor.

If that thing will work when you get it cleaned up,I'll bet it will work for another 50 or 60 years.I have a couple of friends that have compressors that look like they came over on the Mayflower and they work great. One in particular is in a commercial shop running every day and that thing has never given him trouble. He just cleans the filter and blows the dust off every once in a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

If that thing will work when you get it cleaned up,I'll bet it will work for another 50 or 60 years.I have a couple of friends that have compressors that look like they came over on the Mayflower and they work great. One in particular is in a commercial shop running every day and that thing has never given him trouble. He just cleans the filter and blows the dust off every once in a while.

No air filter in this one to clean. The intake valves are on top of the compressor head and open to the air. This was in an old farm shed that the roof fell in on. It was under an old bench and I thought for sure it would be seized being mostly open to the weather. After I got it out I grabbed the flywheel and it spun right over. I set it next to the shop and rewired the cord to the motor and had it spinning for a short time until the flat belt broke. Bottom feels solid on the tank. When the weather gets better I'll put a belt together for it and see if it makes air. I have enough compressors here already but this one was to old and cool to just scrap. 😎

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here's my old IR T-30 I resurrected. IR says no parts or literature available but from the serial # it's likely early 30's.

These early tanks are pretty stout and will usually leak without actually rupturing. I hydro test to 300 pounds before using them just to be sure. It's pretty easy to do using a pressure washer to build up pressure after filling with a hose.............Bob

20211204_135218 - Copy (2).jpg

20210821_144023 - Copy (2).jpg

20210821_144434.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I pressure tested my air tank using a pressure washer like the above method. I only hit the switch for a few seconds and the pressure hit 600 lbs.! Good enough for me.

Of course, the air tank should have been submerged into another tank of water but??

I also took the dent out of a steel fuel tank that way once, and pop, out it came. I tried it on an alum. tank once and it split it wide open along a scratch on the bottom of the tank!  Opps!  🙄

• 1 month later...

Gents, I love seeing old equipment like this continue to yield utility. Something this old and continues to work is a testimony for keeping equipment that works. Im glad you took the time care to keep the compressor going.

Turbinator