1940 Buick, Super Coupe 8...... Ignition switch trouble

Dave Myers

I had to change the ignition and Coil wire and coil, from original to a Delco replacement.

I have the battery wire going to Bat on the ignition switch and...  To Coil Wire, Fuel Gage Wire, Starter wire, and one more wire going to IGN on ignition switch.  That's all, but no spark through coil......   What am I doing wrong? 

We may need a bit more info. Battery wire goes to Bat terminal on the switch. there should be one marked IGN. this goes to coil.   Do you have 6 volts on the + terminal on the coil with the switch on?

• Like 1

Yes, I replaced the wire going to the coil.  It has 6.3 volts going to the + side of the coil, and nothing going through the coil.  When I removed the old switch, the coil wire was sealed in steel and I removed it from the ignition switch and also the old coil.   I replaced the coil with a new 6 volt coil recommended for the car from NAPA.

There are a total of 5 wires to the ignition switch.   #1... with 6.3 power in,  #2...  turns on the fuel gage,  #3... 6.3 volts to the coil,  #4.  allows the  starter to crank when gas pedal is pressed.      #5... I have no idea what it does..... 

Thanks for you post,   anything else I can tell you?         Dave

So you have 6 volts to the + terminal of the coil nothing going through the coil? What does nothing going though the coil mean?

How many volts on the - terminal of the coil? Should be 6 volts with the points open, and 0 volts with the points closed.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

That's what I thought.   After getting no spark to the points, I unhooked to wire going from the coil to the distributor and checked again with the power on to the + side and still nothing, no power, no reading through the coil.  Maybe the brand new coil is bad......??  

When the points are open each side of the coil should read 6v.  When the points are closed the point side of the coil should read 0v as the points should be connecting that terminal to ground. 

• Like 2

As a mechanic for more than 60 years I have encountered defective brand new parts, especially thermostats and rebuilt starters and generators. and rebuilt master cylinders  exchanged at the parts dealers stores. The MOT banded the rebuilding of master cylinders and wheel cylinders even at NAPA.  This was done after some accidents caused by rebuilds. Rebuild shops have gone out of business.

In a recent thread I cautioned about rebuilding of master and wheel cylinders at home garage. Some home mechanics will use a hone to clean the cylinders. Did he measure the oversize bore ?  Will the new rubber seals fit properly ? How long is it going to last ? Are new seals made in Chinneusam safe ? A cylinder bushed by a machinist is honed to original size.  

Thank you for that information.  I’ll keep that in mind if I have issues with that stuff.  Right now I hope to find the timing mark so I will be able to check that.  I think it’s pretty close but I have never seen it up to this point.  
It’s good to have 60 year mechanics around when you’re working on 84 year old cars.  I have been a machinist for about as long as you have been a mechanic.    Thanks again.

We see lots of new coil failures today.......I test mine for a few hours before installing. Same goes for electric fuel pumps.......everything today is junk.

• Like 1