Car emblems and Badges - a history and view of same.

There are quite a few of us who have collections of collections and some of us who focus on one type of collection. It is great to have a well researched source to go to , to view not only what we want information on but a history of that that is based on solid facts. One of the best if not the best website I have found is organized by a friend of mine ( and friend of Terry Bond as well) who is an AACA member who resides in England.  Mike Shears has used his son Murray's collection to document car badges and emblems. This can be found at http://www.americanautoemblems.com

To make sure you understand what I am referring to I am posting a photo of some of the emblems in my own collection to give you an idea of what all of this is about.  SO much more at the site i mentioned  of Murray's badges. Go look, well organized and you can click on a name of a particular make to go to that instantly! this includes the emblems on the radiator shells, center of hubcaps, located on trunk racks etc. We all owe Mike and Murray a great deal of thanks for their sharing the collection as well as the well researched information about all of them.

Badgeboxtop.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for mentioning the American Auto Emblems site, I use it constantly for identification and verification of emblems that I buy and sell. I did not know it was british based which makes it all the more impressive. They are constantly updating and expanding the information listed unlike some past efforts that just died on the vine. This is the model that I would love to see used for threaded hubcaps (Per Hubcap Collector's previous thread), and also for auto data plates.

One of the biggest potential projects for me is cataloging and identifying all the stuff in my personal collection, I'll post some more pictures later.

DSCF3567.JPG

Edited by TexRiv_63 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Cataloging information is a daunting process especially when you are trying to start with an already established collection. I’ve been trying to keep mine updated if for no other reason than to assist with estate liquidation but I almost always let some new items slip through the cracks along the way. My emblems are easier once on a display and don’t move around easily, it’s the loose items that are an issue as they get moved around and hidden.

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Cataloging information is a daunting process especially when you are trying to start with an already established collection. I’ve been trying to keep mine updated if for no other reason than to assist with estate liquidation but I almost always let some new items slip through the cracks along the way. My emblems are easier once on a display and don’t move around easily, it’s the loose items that are an issue as they get moved around and hidden.

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Your displays are fabulous. I had such ideas at one time but most of my emblems are still loose and hidden! I started a list years ago but it is so far out of date I will have to start from scratch...

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

As the former owner and founder of Emblemagic, I would like to make a couple of suggestions to the emblem collectors out there:  Try to keep the original stud with the emblem if it's there.  Never ever drill into the emblem for mounting purposes.  The fact is many times emblems from these collections find their way back on to the cars they came from! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3