1949 Buick OEM LH Mirror Question

Dan O

I have never seen one of these mirrors mounted on a car.  They are factory accessories apparently.  Were they rare or problematic or just ugly?

I think it looks like it would look good as the grooves complement the ones on the running lights but would appreciate a photo of one installed.

s-l1600.jpg.19d2b05e4a8fccd8015cfb468afd705d.jpg

It mounts to the moulding below the wing window or vent window with two mounting holes drilled into the moulding.  I have never seen one mounted either and I have been looking at these for 40+ years. 

What made me think it would be a good look is that it is factory mirror and it has the grooves in the arm that repeat the grooves in the 1949 turn signal light trim.  I guess I will need to buy one to see how it looks.

buickmirrortemplate.jpg.c7935a3278a982bb4d1b4dfeb913d651.jpg

turn lights.jpg

• Like 1

I saw one mounted once, it didn't strike me as too usable.

The "King Bee" style mirrors seem like a much better idea, I think I'm going to mount those.  Bonus: no holes drilled !

I have not been driving my car as much over the last two years but I am seriously considering a multi-camera system. It is mostly for watching my clearance between the car and the right side door clearance. I would also plan to keep the display on a 7" screen while driving.

A four camera system is under $200. On a 6 volt car an plug in LI battery would power it up for a long time running independent.

Older car are just hard to get an effective right mirror that looks good and works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/30/2024 at 10:51 PM, s_hilmoe said:

I have one mounted on my '49. Here are a couple of older pics.

20151012_153832.jpg

20151012_153843.jpg

(Bump) Very nice looking in my opinion.  Did you get a template with your mirror to drill the single hole correctly?  It is at more of an upright angle than I imagined.  I did buy one - no template so if you have one, please let me know!

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I

On 3/12/2024 at 4:06 PM, Dan O said:

(Bump) Very nice looking in my opinion.  Did you get a template with your mirror to drill the single hole correctly?  It is at more of an upright angle than I imagined.  I did buy one - no template so if you have one, please let me know!

It was on the car when I got it. Sorry, no template.