1971 AMC Javelin AMX 4-Speed

I like this a lot.   I've told the story many times of the 401 four speed AMX I passed on in HS because I wanted a GTO.    The AMX was something like 450 bucks.  I paid 300 bucks for a completely cooked 69 GTO convertible.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-amc-javelin-amx/

This 1971 AMC Javelin AMX is powered by a 360ci V8 linked with a T-10 four-speed manual transmission and a 12-bolt rear axle and is finished in silver over black upholstery. Equipment includes a cowl-induction hood, a black “T” stripe, a black vinyl roof covering, front and rear spoilers, air conditioning, power steering, power front disc brakes, styled 15″ steel wheels, a Hurst shifter, a digital stereo, an Edelbrock four-barrel carburetor, and a dual exhaust system with Flowmaster mufflers. The car was acquired by the seller in 2010 and was subsequently refurbished. This Javelin AMX is now offered in Canada with a calendar featuring the car and a Nova Scotia registration document in the seller’s name.

1971_amc_javelin-amx_1971_amc_javelin-amx_IMG_7971-34-72705.webp.26832981281167f3f05dafb3bb6989e9.webp

• Like 8

I like these cars, too. Really nice looking. Maybe not quite what the originals were, but they were still cool. The other cool "follow up" pony car from this era that's too often overlooked is the '71-3 Mustang, in my opinion. I'd like to find a base model Javelin or Mustang from one of these years.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for the Javelin....  in 1982, a fellow that worked with my Dad was selling a 1974 AMC Javelin for $800 ! This became my first new car that I purchased on my own, not bad for a 17 year kid !  It had a blue exterior and blue interior, 304 V8 with a 3 speed on the floor, for a 8 year old car, it was already showing it's age with rust starting in the rear quarters and the top of both front fenders. Another family friend that did paint / body work at his home, fixed the rust issues and we had the color change from blue to white. That car had a lot of torque, it had no problems smoking those tires ( ask me how a know ..lol ), I always like the design of the car and thought that AMC was ahead of the game when it came to the design !

Steve

image.png.a974796a8030b6501fc46f525a4436c3.png

• Like 5

The 401 car that I looked at was a 71 I think.   Its funny because I only spent 20 minutes looking at it but I remember like it was yesterday.  that was 42 years ago.   The car was only 11 years old but was beat and starting to rust.  But it was ordered exactly the way you would want.    My dad sent me to look as it was sitting on his buddies used car lot.   I probably should have bought that instead of the GTO.   It was in much better shape.

Is this the AMX with the backseat? I think the earlier models were a slight bit different, maybe a shorter wheelbase? The later years maybe were  built the same as the Javelin?

Have said it before, I never cared for anything AMC, but as I have aged like a fine wine I do like the AMX's now.

• Like 1

First AMX was smaller and only a two passenger, 1968-69 I believe.  Later were the ones seen here and the another, mostly show over go was in the mid 1970s based on the AMC Hornet.   See this link

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1977-amc-hornet-amx

I almost bought this exact 1977 model from the AMC dealer in Pottsville PA.  It was in his showroom window.  Instead I stuck with my Chevy roots and bought a new 1977 Rally Nova.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

First AMX was smaller and only a two passenger, 1968-69 I believe.  Later were the ones seen here and the another, mostly show over go was in the mid 1970s based on the AMC Hornet.   See this link

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1977-amc-hornet-amx

I almost bought this exact 1977 model from the AMC dealer in Pottsville PA.  It was in his showroom window.  Instead I stuck with my Chevy roots and bought a new 1977 Rally Nova.

First generation was 68-70.  Second generation was 71-74.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1