36. Bumper guards

vette-kid

Are bumper guards year/ model specific? If like to get some for the rear bumper. It clearly had some at one point. I don't think they have to match the front, I'm torn on those. But it looks better with than without. 

20240113_134106.jpg

20240113_134134.jpg

Not being familiar with the Plymouths, which are a little different than the same year Dodges, I noticed that they may be on wrong or the covers are missing. On the Dodge cars, those brackets mount behind the main bumper bar and have an outer cover that snaps over the bracket to hide the bolts. Just a thought. I'll try to get a pic off.

I believe you are correct.  I spent a few hours (yup...you read that correct) combing the internet for pictures.  What i have is half of it.  The rear half.  There should be a cover that clips on to these to cover the bolt to frame mounting point.  Im not sure what they would be called, nor can I find them anywhere so far.  Mine are mangled up pretty bad and one is broken, plus missing the cover piece entirely.  Fortunatley its non functional, so I can go without it.  It will just bother me.

The other issue is the residue that the old rubber pads left.  I cant seem to get it all off for anything.  Goo Gone is my next attempt, but its petrified on there pretty good.  

https://www.srpmstreetrods.com/srpm/1933-35-plymouth-34-35-dodge-front-bumper-bolt-cover-paintable-40288bca55af858f01566b6616701cc7-p.html  Try srpm street rods, a couple of folks make these, i think they are basically the same across the mid-30s mopars, fit my 34 dodges and plymouths.  Note that even the originals tend to come off because they are only held on by the nature of the spring steel.  What I have done is drill and thread a very small set screw into the bottom corner of the cover where it can not be seen, haven't lost one yet.  

• Like 1

The part that you are holding mounts behind the bumper bar. In your picture, the back is facing outward and mounts directly to the frame horn. I believe that the full flange faces upward and the open bottom lets water drain out. The cover is made in the same fashion and just snaps over the inner bracket. The smaller tips of the inner bracket can be bent slightly to make a tighter fit.

Still on bumpers...Ive got the mounting brackets all cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint going on as soon as this rain stops.  My front license plate bracket is pretty beat up.  Looks like its been welded and "repaired" a few times.  I wouldnt mind starting with a fresh one here as well.  Not required here in Florida, so its not a must have.  But if I can get a clean one I wouldnt mind having it.  Ive got a topper for this one, but no place to put it right now!

On 1/13/2024 at 11:04 AM, vette-kid said:

Are bumper guards year/ model specific? If like to get some for the rear bumper. It clearly had some at one point. I don't think they have to match the front, I'm torn on those. But it looks better with than without. 

20240113_134106.jpg

20240113_134134.jpg

I would run 36 Dodge bumper guards instead of the one your showing they just don’t get for me.