For Sale: 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project - Meservey, IA - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 1-20-2024.

For Sale: 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project - Meservey, IA - This posting has been deleted by its author. 1-20-2024.

1961lincoln for sale by owner - Meservey, IA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

All original, 430-engine, no through rust anywhere, had for over 30 years, Arizona car, was planning on restoring but i got too old.  1961 Continental convertible production: 2,857 built.
Copy and paste in your email: 7efaccccdde538e7930540e2e327a74c@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project.

'61 Lincoln IA a.jpg

'61 Lincoln IA b.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
This posting has been deleted by its author. 1-20-2024. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dalef62 said:

I wish there was more information, looks interesting!

It does! And I agree about wanting more info. It could be a good project. But when I see pics of a wet car my BS detector immediately triggers. If the Arizona story is true it might be really solid. These are apparently still bringing good money, but no way to know if the asking price is reasonable without knowing what it needs. Clearly needs paint and a top. But interior and mechanicals?

• Like 2

At first blush it looks good - black suits these cars but probably needs everything. 

A local dealer (Cardinal Classics) just over the line in MA has a 63 that looks a lot better, running but "may need fluid top off for top" @$45k.  Originality I think is his justification on price but I am thinking the top likely needs a full service.  What is that Geerhead, $5,000-ish?  Is Mr. Cashman around and still doing this work?

I wonder if the supplier in NE CT was able to get back in business after they suffered a big fire a couple years back (name escapes me but they were in business forever these slabside Lincolns a specialty).

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the price is reasonable if the car checks out, especially in the current market. I'm tempted to reach out on this one but it's not the project I need right now. I think the car has the very attractive red and white interior,  based on the reflection I see in the window.  That would be a plus. While John Cashman has retired,  there are others who have stepped up and Lincoln Land in Florida has parts. It's doable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

A local dealer (Cardinal Classics) just over the line in MA has a 63 that looks a lot better, running but "may need fluid top off for top" @$45k.

I just looked at their website and the pics of that ‘63. Based on the varied backgrounds I think they sell at least some of their stuff on consignment. I’m guessing the description came from the current owner. That ‘63 looks pretty good although I don’t think the yellow color is the most desirable. The seats are in nice shape but it looks like vinyl on my tablet screen. The top vinyl appears to have shrunk so it’s probably pretty old and needs to be replaced. 

For $45k they should eliminate the uncertainty and get that top working. It could be a simple low fluid situation as they say, or something much more expensive. If it’s low on fluid, where did it go? If I remember right, up until ‘63 the factory used brake fluid. You don’t want that leaking out and sitting around in the trunk or under the rear seat. Lots of switches, hydraulic valves and cylinders, wiring connections, and relays to check out. If you pay an expert it could get expensive fast. If you pay someone who doesn’t understand these systems it could get expensive even faster. 

I don’t think Baker’s auto ever recovered from the fire. That was a cool place and fun to visit. 

• Like 1

Geerhead knows for sure but these Lincolns are among the most expensive 60s cars to restore.  I would want a nice #3 ready to enjoy but the subject car does seem to get one's imagination going..

• Like 1

That ‘63 looks pretty good although I don’t think the yellow color is the most desirable. The seats are in nice shape but it looks like vinyl on my tablet screen.

Personally, I have always considered yellow the most desirable color on these cars, much more so than white (which is the most common color of these cars). Back to the OP car, black is also highly desirable. It is all a matter of taste.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

They look nice in maroon as well, especially the sedans

The sedans look good in any color! 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@ericmac agree on colors.  They look nice in maroon as well, especially the sedans.  

Are the convertibles rock solid on the road as well?  

In my experience,  yes. They are absolutely magical highway cars. My '66 had terrible gas mileage on one trip, about 7 mpg at 55-60 mph. On the way home I decided to push harder; why not, I was pouring fuel into it anyway.  I bumped it up to 78-79. The car was right in it's rhythm and got 15 mpg. It seemed to just float at that speed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible - Project - Meservey, IA - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 1-20-2024.