How do I get started in endurance rallies? (ERA events, etc)

Peking to Paris, The Sahara Challenge.  That sort of thing.   Not the Ken Block full on racing. 

Although it might be wise to start with a shorter event in North America.  

This would something completely new for me and a few years off.  Yes, it's expensive, we'll put that aside for now.   I would like to learn about the nuts and bolts of starting from zero and building the practical knowledge to have a reasonable expectation of finishing.   Where to start, who to talk to, what to bring along and what to leave at home.   Anything to help learn about these events.

My bucket list was to do the Great Race. After talking with AJ, and it seems like it has become too commercial I have squashed that one. There are a couple of local road rallies that we try to participate in every year. I let my son drive and I was navigating. We flat out sucked!!

I know he likes to drive so thats why we sat in the seats that we did, however I told him after our 4th losing experience that we may want to switch roles, LOL. We did  have fun though and got to see some interesting sights along the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

My bucket list was to do the Great Race. After talking with AJ, and it seems like it has become too commercial I have squashed that one. There are a couple of local road rallies that we try to participate in every year. I let my son drive and I was navigating. We flat out sucked!!

I know he likes to drive so thats why we sat in the seats that we did, however I told him after our 4th losing experience that we may want to switch roles, LOL. We did  have fun though and got to see some interesting sights along the way.

The Great Race is a timed rally as opposed to an endurance rally although I'm no expert.    Tom and I are talking about doing it again this year (time and expense being a limiting factor) so I'm annoyed at myself if I talked you out of it.   Lots of fun, but it is work.

The go to a lot of trouble to help beginners so it might be a good way to try to out rallying.   Here is the thread when we did it:

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Peking to Paris, The Sahara Challenge.  That sort of thing.   Not the Ken Block full on racing. 

Although it might be wise to start with a shorter event in North America.  

This would something completely new for me and a few years off.  Yes, it's expensive, we'll put that aside for now.   I would like to learn about the nuts and bolts of starting from zero and building the practical knowledge to have a reasonable expectation of finishing.   Where to start, who to talk to, what to bring along and what to leave at home.   Anything to help learn about these events.

How about contacting event organizers to ask them and then, see if they could put you in touch with some of the previous participants ? 

But be aware, some of these types of events now allow “poseur” participation, i.e. participants just renting their rides and support teams, etc. instead of being hardcore car guys/-owners.

4 hours ago, TTR said:

How about contacting event organizers to ask them and then, see if they could put you in touch with some of the previous participants ? 

But be aware, some of these types of events now allow “poseur” participation, i.e. participants just renting their rides and support teams, etc. instead of being hardcore car guys/-owners.

I will most likely do that in the coming future.  A search revealed that there are some members here who have at least given thought to participating in these events, I was going to contact them directly but I thought it might be interesting to others as well. 

(At the risk of ridicule and sidelong glances, I would consider renting a car, at least the first time out, just to make the logistics easier.)