Can you help identify the cars in these old photos?

CChinn

IMG_1390.jpeg.2f2f6b8eb0e297333d5003b8fca877ed.jpegIMG_1389.jpeg.d045296ffa11d4c45b4362554be25e1b.jpegIMG_1388.jpeg.587956b6329e81703f0b511a58364316.jpegWhile going through family photos after my 94 year old mother recently passed, I found these 3 photos with older cars. I’m not knowledgeable enough to identify the year, make or model of the cars in the photos, but I know many of our expert forum members can.  My step-grandmother is in the first photo and my mother is in the other 2 photos located in the mid-late 40s and 1950s San Francisco 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The 55er said:

The car in the last photo behind the woman holding the baby is a 1952 Pontiac Catalina hardtop.

Thanks 55er. That is my mother holding my oldest brother who was born in 1952. Don’t know for sure, but I am going to guess the car was owned by my parents 

The first is a 1929 or 190 Chevrolet. What country was the photo taken in? The fender mounted parking lights look European. The landau irons and long door opening with no visible door post make me think convertible victoria which was not a factory offering. My guess is a custom bodied car which was common in Europe.

Don

Edited by DLynskey
typo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DLynskey said:

The first is a 1929 or 190 Chevrolet. What country was the photo taken in? The fender mounted parking lights look European. The landau irons and long door opening with no visible door post make me think convertible victoria which was not a factory offering. My guess is a custom bodied car which was common in Europe.

Don

I was thinking US since they lived in Beverly Hills , CA in the 1920s, but she was a silent screen actress and her husband was Fred Niblo who directed the original silent film version of Ben Hur in 1925, so the photo could have been in Europe. Thanks for your reply 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

I believe the first one is going to be LaSalle, just not sure on the year

They liked luxury cars so that would be consistent 

• Like 1

In the second photo showing the three cars behind the bicycle, the sedan on the very left is a 1940 Plymouth. I'm basing that on the fact that the door handles are below the belt line moulding, the horizontal styling creases that are visible on the front & rear fenders, the smaller size of the taillights and the more outward location of the rear bumper guard. Sorry but I can't help with the other two cars to the right of the Plymouth. 

• Thanks 1

The car in the center could be a 1937-'38 Ford "trunk back" 2-door sedan, while the one on the far right appears to be a circa '38 - '40 General Motors sedan. Chevy, Pontiac, & Olds all shared similar shaped bodies. I think even the junior Buicks and Cadillacs used some of these bodies, too, during this period. The bike appears to be a Schwinn.

Sorry, I can't get closer than that.  (Notice that all three cars are parked diagonally - the wrong way.)

image.png.795c9fbd40a2dec63f25d95988c44711.png 'image.png.8d67b4f536ea81045534cd467c45a272.pngimage.png.60dd78ba88eab491302905ceb3b65977.png

Edited by 7th Son (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I saw the first picture, I immediately imagined LaSalle, because the radiator emblem and headlight pillars.

But that era LaSalle had a connecting bar between the two headlights, with a LaS round logo in the middle.

There is also a different radiator mascot I cannot identify properly. 
I am really not sure about this one.