1947 Hudson truck, not mine.

New Year's rant:

I don't search Facebook or craigslist often, but it seems lately that lots of apparently derelict, abandoned, or just plain junk cars have been advertised on the net and subsequently find their way  here.

I, personally, find little interest in seeing half century or older heaps of crunched, rusted metal usually unearthed somewhere in the vast hinterland and presented as some rare and exotic treasure from the storied past. Many of them are misidentified, such as this Hudson, and practically all of them are ridiculosly and laughably overpriced.

There is a place on this forum to put pictures of these vehicles. Check out the "Old Car Remains" section of the Photo and Video forum.

1946 Chevrolet silverado 2500 regular cab & chassis

$10,000
Listed 10 weeks ago in Attica, MI

Driven 12,345 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Brown · Interior color: Brown
Fuel type: Gasoline
Clean title

This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Seller's Description

1948 hudson truck DOES HAVE CLEAN TITLE

P.S.  Happy New Year!
  • Like 1

1. Identification- have you ever tried posting an ancient or orphan car on Facebook? You are forced into selecting the title from the few that are available. You cannot list a car under any title you want. 

Facebook, Craigslist, etc are not populated by car experts. They are 99% people who have no idea what their car is, or what price it will take to get it sold.
I fully expect poor descriptions and high asking prices. If you want a good description and market prices, may I suggest a collector auction company. BTW - they will provide you with a title. 

2. while you may see this as a heap, it is actually very restorable.  These Hudson trucks are very popular.  Being a truck they, are easier to fix than the passenger cars. 

Sad to say that many are not restored stock, they are very attractive to rodders.  AND since the Hudson club has never done judging many are “Hudson rodded” by Hudson people.  Later Hornet motors etc.  

3. This Not Mine forum IS the place to post cars that are being offered in other sites that someone might not search or review often (or ever).

There are no restrictions here as to price or condition.  There have been multimillion dollar cars posted and there have been parts cars posted.

There have been many cars that I have absolutely no interest in.  (For whatever reason). In those cases I either don’t click or move on.

I have been surprised at how much I have learned in the discussion that develops after a posting, so sometimes just read the comments from the experts. 

The searching and reposting takes a lot of time and effort.  I have posted a few.  I am grateful to the regulars who do find the cars and PROPERLY post the links, the text and the photos.  When I have posted an ad takes me about 10 minutes to click, copy, save and format an AACA post.  

I extend my thanks to those people who make the effort to do this. None of them are profiting from this effort. I will never complain about what they post (again if I don’t like it, I move on) It would be wonderful if every “not mine” listing was for cars that excited me at prices and locations that made me want to investigate and purchase, but this is not realistic. 

I only follow a few forums on this board and this is one that I look at daily.  

and Happy New Year to everyone. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

1. Identification- have you ever tried posting an ancient or orphan car on Facebook? You are forced into selecting the title from the few that are available. You cannot list a car under any title you want. 

Facebook, Craigslist, etc are not populated by car experts. They are 99% people who have no idea what their car is, or what price it will take to get it sold.
I fully expect poor descriptions and high asking prices. If you want a good description and market prices, may I suggest a collector auction company. BTW - they will provide you with a title. 

2. while you may see this as a heap, it is actually very restorable.  These Hudson trucks are very popular.  Being a truck they, are easier to fix than the passenger cars. 

Sad to say that many are not restored stock, they are very attractive to rodders.  AND since the Hudson club has never done judging many are “Hudson rodded” by Hudson people.  Later Hornet motors etc.  

3. This Not Mine forum IS the place to post cars that are being offered in other sites that someone might not search or review often (or ever).

There are no restrictions here as to price or condition.  There have been multimillion dollar cars posted and there have been parts cars posted.

There have been many cars that I have absolutely no interest in.  (For whatever reason). In those cases I either don’t click or move on.

I have been surprised at how much I have learned in the discussion that develops after a posting, so sometimes just read the comments from the experts. 

The searching and reposting takes a lot of time and effort.  I have posted a few.  I am grateful to the regulars who do find the cars and PROPERLY post the links, the text and the photos.  When I have posted an ad takes me about 10 minutes to click, copy, save and format an AACA post.  

I extend my thanks to those people who make the effort to do this. None of them are profiting from this effort. I will never complain about what they post (again if I don’t like it, I move on) It would be wonderful if every “not mine” listing was for cars that excited me at prices and locations that made me want to investigate and purchase, but this is not realistic. 

I only follow a few forums on this board and this is one that I look at daily.  

and Happy New Year to everyone. 

Right...     How about this recent example?

The comments are not complementary nor positive.

image.png.f4eca64612353ac710b41bfd5832a866.png

And this one...

And another...

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, m-mman said:

Identification- have you ever tried posting an ancient or orphan car on Facebook? You are forced into selecting the title from the few that are available. You cannot list a car under any title you want. 

Maybe folks that are serious about selling a car should choose a more serious venue - one that facilitates better what you are trying to sell. Having potential buyers ridiculing your sales effort is not beneficial.

That's for sure...and they quite often make themselves out to be buffoons. Clowns leading clowns.

3 hours ago, m-mman said:

While you may see this as a heap, it is actually very restorable.  These Hudson trucks are very popular.  Being a truck they, are easier to fix than the passenger cars. 

As you know, the present day cost to restore such a project, even when attempted by the average old car enthusiast doing most of his own work, far exceeds the value of the final vehicle. $10k is a ridiculous asking price. Add the cost of dragging it home, and you are upside-down before you start cleaning the rodents out of it. Negotiating with an ignorant seller seldom results in a satisfactory settlement.

This Not Mine forum IS the place to post cars that are being offered in other sites that someone might not search or review often (or ever).

I think you just made Mr. Shifter's point. This site is for cars (and trucks), not for practically unidentifiable piles of rusting scrap metal. I think the majority of posters here are primarily serious car restorers and collectors, not scrap metal dealers or used part pickers or sellers. 

The searching and reposting takes a lot of time and effort. I am grateful to the regulars who do find the cars and PROPERLY post the links, the text and the photos.  When I have posted an ad takes me about 10 minutes to click, copy, save and format an AACA post.

Agreed...when we post in this particular forum section, we are making an effort to assist our fellow members to obtain information and knowledge. The moderators have provided other forum sections for posting old auto remains, as well as a humor section. Some think this forum section is not meant for either scrap metal or jokes, even though most of us understand and enjoy the rather constant sarcasm that goes along with "Not Mine" car ads.

...just another guy's opinion.

Happy New Year, friends.

• Like 1

When you read a post about restoration costs getting so high, that it is pricing people right out of being able to finish their projects. Or concerns about being able to pull in young people into the hobby, because of cost involved. It makes you look to other ways that a individual could acquire needed parts. There is not a person on this forum that would pass on buying a chunk, or half of a car. If it was needed in their restoration project. Some of these piles of scrap metal can be had for free, or with very little money. Roof sections, cowls, dashes, window components, rear axle and other suspension related parts. Can cost thousands if bought at swap meets or off of the internet. I would work on customers cars, installing  10-20-30-40-50 thousand dollars worth of components. And in the evening look at the auto parts section on Craigslist for piles of scrap. That could help me with my personal projects. Rear axles, complete front frame sections. Wrecked cars to pull drivetrains out of, usable seats and center consoles. I can tell you for a fact, the only way a young person of average financial wealth can play with these old cars. Is to piece them together. I have been doing it for about 30 years. The restoration side of the car world will take the biggest hit, as supplies of cars and parts disappear. If you needed it, that 27 Studebaker pictured above, is a pile of parts car gold. 

• Like 3

I like the Hudson truck. These are uncommon and they have a following. Obviously needs a lot but people have turned worse into very nice vehicles.

I know I wouldn’t pay anything close to the asking price for it, but I’m glad the ad was posted here. I am more of a project guy so this kind of thing is right up my alley. Most “finished” cars I’ve looked at needed work to either fit my taste (colors, tires, etc) or to overcome substandard prior work. Yet the sellers want top dollar because they spent a lot of money. I still like to see old cars in any condition so I will check out many ads. 

"Restoration" is almost as variable word as "Original". If you don't want a show car, can do a lot yourself, and are willing to improvise a little where it won't show, it's still possible. I like to use the words "fix up" instead of restoration. There's a guy down the street who painted his car with Rustoleum.

He mixed the color from what is available, thinned and sprayed it. Once color sanded and bugged it looks REALLY nice.  His wife helped with the upholstery. 

Nobody is required to read every post, if it doesn’t interest you, move on. This is BIG forum, big enough to cater to anybody’s particular tastes. 

if I read every Buick post that appeared here, I’d never get ANYTHING done, but I wouldn’t complain about it 🥱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

When you read a post about restoration costs getting so high, that it is pricing people right out of being able to finish their projects. Or concerns about being able to pull in young people into the hobby, because of cost involved. It makes you look to other ways that a individual could acquire needed parts. There is not a person on this forum that would pass on buying a chunk, or half of a car. If it was needed in their restoration project. Some of these piles of scrap metal can be had for free, or with very little money. Roof sections, cowls, dashes, window components, rear axle and other suspension related parts. Can cost thousands if bought at swap meets or off of the internet. I would work on customers cars, installing  10-20-30-40-50 thousand dollars worth of components. And in the evening look at the auto parts section on Craigslist for piles of scrap. That could help me with my personal projects. Rear axles, complete front frame sections. Wrecked cars to pull drivetrains out of, usable seats and center consoles. I can tell you for a fact, the only way a young person of average financial wealth can play with these old cars. Is to piece them together. I have been doing it for about 30 years. The restoration side of the car world will take the biggest hit, as supplies of cars and parts disappear. If you needed it, that 27 Studebaker pictured above, is a pile of parts car gold. 

Maybe we should establish a new forum section and name it "Auto Memorium - Not Mine". The purpose would be to find a suitable place to post "Not Mine" ads for grossly overpriced piles of metal such as this $10k Hudson truck and the $25k Cord Sedan and others that are currently quietly rusting away in someone's field or shed without a hope of rescue by the average restorer.

If that title is unacceptable, we could call it the "Hot Rodder's Heaven", knowing pretty well where these projects will end up.  😉

The restoration side used to be cheaper, many years ago. A person could drive to a wrecking/salvage yard and pull parts from an endless supply of 30’s-50’s cars. With current models in the 60’s-70’s being on the road, and also available as currently wrecked cars. It was the aftermarket parts that were expensive. It costed you a lot more to modify your car into a street rod or custom. Now it is way cheaper to modify your car. The restoration side is painted into a required corner. This is how your car was, this is how your car has to be. With salvage yards cars and parts gone. Private sellers wanting more for their efforts collecting parts. Labor costs and overhead that shops face. It all has pushed the cost of restoration through the roof. I love original cars, but I play with cars mostly on the modified side. Can not afford to play in the restoration sand box.

• Like 3