Safeguards For Our Classic Rides

XframeFX

Under the Christmas Tree, one item to replace that clunky 10lb dry chem extinguisher that can't even stand up in the Riviera's trunk. I hate storing pressurized vessels horizontally.

This one is a base 50 second model but a 100 model is the upgrade option (E100).

The 2nd item was received as a gift to my Wife, a 4-Pack of Air Tags. Later, after assigning three, I wanted the 4th for my Riviera. She scoffed, "that old POS?"

We are an Android family except for my wife with her iPhone.

image.png.33f4ef0c192f90094876466fb16cc071.png

• Like 1

There are OTHER GPS tracking devices which can be used to track things.  

Of course, you could get her a coupon for "waxing", so that she could "get waxed" similar to "your old POS" car.  LOL!!  Or maybe some smooth massage oil for her, too, just as you would Lexol leather interiors?  Or perhaps y'all could just guzzle some Tunisian-sourced extra virgin olive oil for better health?

Happy New Year!

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Or maybe some smooth massage oil for her, too, just as you would Lexol leather interiors? 

Now I am going to have the southern California real estate lady leatherette image stuck in my head all day. And I'm from New York!

Talk about lasting impressions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recommend both of your gifts.  I have an Element in my '38 Buick and should buy a couple more...  The air tag is simple and cheap.  My sister threw one in the glovebox of my father's truck just to keep tabs on him after he went AWOL unexpectedly on one occasion (nothing serious, but she was nervous).  It was quick and easy to see where he was.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So with Air Tags from Christmas assigned to various assets such as my current driver, a widget in the latest update to my Pixel Android warns me I'm being tracked. What?

This is good if you're being tracked but, not good if my stolen Riviera is on its way to port. The thieves will be notified with their androids and tear the car apart until they find it.

• Like 1

I would suspect that the air tags are paired with only YOUR device and not every similar phone in their proximity.  If they did, you'd receive notifications to pair with them every time they were close, it seems to me.  I would expect that each one has a unique identifier in the network that is also attached to your phone.  Might need to download the instruction manual for the Air Tags to verify?

NTX5467

Air tags work by pinging off the closest iphone to the air tag. If there is no iphone close by they will not transmit any information about the location of the tag. They are not secure. Anyone can search them and know they are in a vehicle.

If your luggage is in Rome and you are in New York the tag is not sending a signal directly to you phone. Your tag is detected by someone else's iphone near your luggage and then sent to you.

Edited by K13 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Air Tags are not good for trying to  track stolen items. They quickly notify the thief that they are being tracked. 
I had one on a motorcycle and it notified the thief before they got off the property. I found the Air Tag in the weeds outside the shop.  

There are better devices for tracking personal property that don’t send alerts to people that spend any time around the device like air tags do.

Apple was sued because because people were using Air Tags to track people without their knowledge. So Apple changed the design to alert people they are being tracked. 

John

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1