60 windshield wipers won't turn off

Drakeule

My new project car, the 1960 Buick Invicta, had dead wipers.So I fiddled with the contacts and noticed that when I applied 12 volts, the wipers did move very slowly. I "assisted" them, then found that when I applied the  12 volts to the middle contact, they worked fine.

However, when I reconnected the harness and applied juice, they now wouldn't turn off!; both low and high speeds work, but no "off."

Could this be the switch , or did I inadvertantly damage something in the motor (i.e., park relay) ?

Bemuddled in Potomac,

C Drake

I don't know what the 60 wiper motor even looks like offhand. The later GM ones are pretty confusing, nevertheless...

On just about any wiper motor that has a "park" function, there is always power at the motor from an "always hot" wire. Switching schemes can change for variable speeds, and power is sent to other terminals appropriately to "run" at the desired speed, but that is a separate issue.

For park, there will be a set of contacts, probably a brush on a rotating disc, that is always "on" from the "always hot" wire, and sending voltage to the motor except when the wipers are all the way down. When the wipers are all the way down the contacts break and the wipers shut off.

If you shut the wipers off and they are not down at the bottom of the windshield, the motor remains "on" because of those contacts until the wipers are down. It sounds like maybe the contacts aren't breaking?

• Like 2

My 60 wipers are slow to start when it's cold outside.  Slow to stop as well. The grease inside is old and hard.  Warmth makes the difference. Also cleaning out the old grease and replacing with new makes a bigger difference!  And is more than likely your solution. 

BTW, I live in Glen Burnie MD!  Feel free to message me with any questions on your 60. 

PXL_20230730_163623561.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Bloo may be on to something with the contacts. I had a 1960 BelAir sedan years ago that behaved the same way. Wipers worked but wouldn't park and shut off unless you went over a bump, railroad tracks or the like. That would jar things enough to shut them off.

This was 1978 or so. 1960 GM cars were still common in junkyards then, but I got a rebuilt unit from NAPA.

That's when I learned about GM and their clutch head screws! Had to go back to NAPA to get the screwdrivers to R&R the wiper motor. Still have them 45 years later though I haven't owned a car that needs them in decades. At least they also worked for Holley carburetors.

Curious if your Invicta has the "Wide-Arc" wiper system? There's a small cam on the wiper drive stem bezel on cars so equipped. It forces the wiper arm stroke a little further toward the outside of the windshield.

• Like 1

The first step I recommend is to loosen and retighten the bolts that hold the motor to the car. It may not help but is just a few moments and restores the ground connection. This did seem to be a common issue on the 1977-1980 cars so dont  know if it is the same for 60s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

The wipers are now doing what wipers are supposed to do? 

You mean smear bugs and stall in the center of the windshield?  :P

• Haha 2