For Sale Not Mine: 1940 Chevy Coupe. Chandler, AZ $25,000.

AzBob

16 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Nice looking, well cared for car.  Is this a four passenger car similar to the Buick Special?

This car is probably built on an GM A body car

• Like 1

I don't know much about Chevys of this era. Would the "3 on the tree" tranny be synchronized between 2nd and 3rd gears? Open drive line or torque tube? Seller doesn't indicate engine size, probably a 216 cu. in. Cruising speed probably 55 or 60? 

If I only had more room and the price was in the ballpark, I would consider this car.

Synchronized 2nd and 3rd? Should be. I think Chevrolet picked that up about 1933. Pretty sure all Chevrolet cars were torque tube through at least 1952. Not sure about 1953/'54. 3/4 ton pickups and bigger trucks were open driveline I "think" throughout the 1930s and later. If I recall correctly (please correct me if I am wrong?) the first year for the famous Babbitt-beater 216 was 1939. So it should be the 216. I don't recall what year they dropped the oil fill/breather pipe on the side of the engine, and put the oil filler in the valve cover? However, I know 1941 still had the side filler (pre-smog later 1940s and early 1950s still had the breather pipe just without the oil filler). The engine photo is the wrong side to see the breather pipe, however, the valve cover doesn't have the oil filler in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1