FS Not Mine 1937 Packard super model 8 convertible FB Mktplce Knoxville TN

On 12/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, West Peterson said:

... except that there aren't any parts on it that are good enough to help anyone restore another one..

I get the point West but I see quite a few convertible specific parts that could should be saved.  That body crosses over several years/models.

24 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I get the point West but I see quite a few convertible specific parts that could should be saved.  That body crosses over several years/models.

Steve,  as I sit and look at piles of NOS trim parts on the floor of my dad's attic I have come to the conclusion that really good mechanical parts are worth putting on the shelf.   Any cosmetic stuff is just a pain.   Just pray you never get hit and need any of that stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve,  as I sit and look at piles of NOS trim parts on the floor of my dad's attic I have come to the conclusion that really good mechanical parts are worth putting on the shelf.   Any cosmetic stuff is just a pain.   Just pray you never get hit and need any of that stuff.

I just mailed some extra window trim I had to a guy in need of it. I had a pile at one time, over the years some went to Europe and others across the US. And, Im not in the business of selling parts! Just happened to end up with a bunch of spares. Looking for the window trim I found I had 2 sets left. One was perfect the other not far off. I wrapped the perfect one up and put it off to the side just in case I will ever need it??????

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

@TAKerry, AJ has heard this one I am sure but your recollections remind of my pal Rich who vowed at 14 to never sell his 68 Mustang GTA.  In the 80s he bought thousands of dollars in spare parts - hood; fenders, anything he could get from FOMOCO at the time.  Just in case.  When he commissioned the restoration a few years back they trailered a ton of stuff separately from the car.  So he was a bit of an exception I guess.

I think I am going to spring for repro beltline moldings for the Packard even though I am not certain I can swap them easily, since the pot metal originals are pitted and really the only eyesore brightwork wise.  Under a grand or likely 1/3 the cost of restoring mine and how much room can they take up?  

Most Model A guys have essentially a spare car in parts somewhere just in case... Ironically one of the easiest cars to source parts for! 😁

• Like 3

My problem is that I am a pack rat! Not a good personality trait to have when talking about antique cars and parts, LOL. I hate to throw something out IF I think it has use or will at some point. All of the parts I have accumulated are firebird/TA stuff. I have a pair of doors, a couple of hoods (had about 10 at point) extra stub frame, a couple sets of seats etc. etc. When I bought the 79 I am restoring it was literally packed with spares the guy was getting rid of. He also had a container full. Told me to take whatever would fit in my truck and I did. I am still finding stuff I forgot that I had. I was seriously contemplating getting a spot for spring carlisle but not sure I would want to make a 3 day commitment. My office is full of boxes of new parts waiting for the install, I have decals in one corner, dash bezel on a side table, misc. parts on the floor behind my desk and a box of vacuum stuff that just came in to the side of my desk, radios in the book case. In the spare bedroom upstairs I have had the new door panels perched going on 3 years. We have a spare room over the garage that has t tops and a spare dash. I think you may be getting the point! My wife came into my office the other day, looked around shaking her head said a few choice words then walked out. I suppose the good thing is that if she hasnt used something for a week she will throw it away. Kind of a good balance between the two of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@TAKerry, AJ has heard this one I am sure but your recollections remind of my pal Rich who vowed at 14 to never sell his 68 Mustang GTA.  In the 80s he bought thousands of dollars in spare parts - hood; fenders, anything he could get from FOMOCO at the time.  Just in case.  When he commissioned the restoration a few years back they trailered a ton of stuff separately from the car.  So he was a bit of an exception I guess.

I think I am going to spring for repro beltline moldings for the Packard even though I am not certain I can swap them easily, since the pot metal originals are pitted and really the only eyesore brightwork wise.  Under a grand or likely 1/3 the cost of restoring mine and how much room can they take up?  

Most Model A guys have essentially a spare car in parts somewhere just in case... Ironically one of the easiest cars to source parts for! 😁

Steve, whenever you tell the story, I can’t help but think what a shame it was a GTA and not a GT.

otherwise, holding onto your high school car, forever, is pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1