Looking for a shop near Georgia/Tennessee/Alabama that can mount tires on demountable rims

erichill

I am at wits end trying to mount my 34.5 tires on the demountable rims. For the life of me I cannot get the rims to expand far enough to clamp together with the tires on.    I know I should be able to do this and I have mounted tires on Model A's but I must be overlooking something or doing something wrong. Does anyone know a shop  in this area that I could see if they would take on the mounting? I live north of Atlanta GA but at this point will drive 100-200 miles to drop off is need be.

Thanks

Eric

12 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

34  x  5  ? 34.5 does not sound like any tire I have heard of.  What diameter of rim ?

The inside diameter of the rim where the tire bead sits is 25"  If I am understanding correctly  to determine tire 34-25 = 9  dived by 2 gives 4.5  

so use 34x4.5 tire? I apologize I wrote it wrong above. 

Usually tires { and rim widths } from this era are described in fractions rather than decimals. For a 25 inch diameter rim you would have a choice of  32 x 3 1/2 ,   33 x 4 ,  34 x 4 1/2 , 35 x 5 or 36 x 5 1/2. These days quite a few of these possible sizes will no longer be available and you have to use the closest one you can find. In addition to rim diameter , rims also came in different widths. Your rims are probably stamped with the size of tire they were intended to be used with.  Your tires at 34 x 4 1/2 fall into the middle of potential 25 inch rims and should fit most 25 inch rims unless they are unusually wide or narrow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erichill said:

The inside diameter of the rim where the tire bead sits is 25"  If I am understanding correctly  to determine tire 34-25 = 9  dived by 2 gives 4.5  

so use 34x4.5 tire? I apologize I wrote it wrong above. 

Measure the diameter of the tire bead & see if it's close to 25"  If not, you may have the wrong size tire.   It shouldn't take a whole lot of pressure on the rim spreader to get the ends to go back together.  You might post a picture of how you've got the spreader located in the rim, you need to position it so that it pulls the ends of the rim apart.

Edited by Farmallregular (see edit history)
  • Like 1