1929 Chrysler 75 Generator

BlueDevil

What is going on here?

The generator on my 75 is a 955 model and it has an extra wire, a notch cut in the cover band for the extra wire and had a regulator.

75 generator.jpg

75 generator band.jpg

75 regulator.jpg

Have a look and see if that wire goes to the third brush terminal and if that brush is missing. I suspect that "what is going on" is that since it uses a regulator and not a cut out that the fields are externally excited. Generators fitted with regulators usually have an output terminal and a field terminal. The 3 brush type powers the fields off the internally generated voltage and it is "regulated" by adjusting the brush and the battery - they only have an output terminal. Doing away with the 3rd brush and fitting a regulator is quite common.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcslr said:

The 1929 generator is timing chain driven

I have 2 of those that I purchased thinking that they would fit my Hupmobiles, the gear is different and protrudes more into the timing case but mounting plate etc is the same as Westinghouse.

Steve

A sensible modification, it will regulate to the battery’s / cars needs (3rd brush is a compromise) and there will be less chance of the generator charging flat out and throwing its solder if it’s disconnected from the battery for any reason (broken wire etc.). I fitted an electronic regulator inside the brush cover band on my 75 , looks original from the outside.

• Like 2

Ok, i got it apart and just want to get it to function as original at the moment.

There is the field wire and the wire that goes to the cutout.

There are 3 brush terminals (marked in white), 1, 2 and 3. 3 is grounded. 

Question of the day, which wire goes on 1 and which goes on 2?

75 gen.jpg

75 gen2.jpg

2 is the "third brush". You will note that it is mounted in a way that allows it to be moved closer or further away than the adjacent brush. It is also a different size. This should have one end of the fields connected to it and the other end of the fields gets grounded (connected to 3).. 1 is the output as it is not grounded.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...