383 stroker, 454, Or 496

I'm currently restoring a 1985 short bed C10. I want a motor with alot of torque, That's also going to get after it speed wise. Something I can take to the drag strip a couple times a year and run 11 or 12 in a 1/4 mile but I'm also trying to run a stock 4L80E (because I have a brand new one and don't want to have it worked on if I don't have to). The truck is going to be used more for car shows (hence the overdrive trans) than the drag strip but I'd like to take to the strip a couple times a year. If I have to get a different trans or get work done to beef mine up to achieve the hp, Torque, time and speed I want, I will. Essentially I want something with 550+ hp, 10-13ish second 1/4 mile, with solid torque. My father inlaw really likes small blocks and has a 383 stroker in his Chevelle. He's trying to talk me out of going with a big block, But I've always wanted one and from my understanding if you want more than 500 or 550 hp you should go with a bb. So I'm trying to decide if i should build a 500hp 383 stroker and if I did would it have the kind of torque I want? Should I just go with a 454? I've also heard if your building a motor (which I am with some assistance) if you build a 454 you might as well stroke it out to a 496 because there isn't much of a price difference but there is a big difference in hp and torque. LS motors are out of the question. I want old school Detroit muscle.

Edited by SquareBody85 (see edit history)

So when you say 496, are you talking about stroking out your own 454?  Or just getting an 8.1 where all the hard work is done already?  You also say no LS motors since you want old Detroit muscle, but I think the 8.1 kinda sits in the gray area there. Many would argue the top end of an 8.1 is basically LS1 derived.  If that doesn't float your boat, you might be able to fit some more old-fashioned aftermarket parts onto the 496 block--I couldn't say for sure. I've got an 8.1 in an 8,000 lb truck that has faithfully put in 320k miles with no signs of wanting to stop.  It's very heavy, very thirsty, and they tend to consume a bit of oil through the flawed PCV system.  But, it's pretty long lasting and very torquey, and they're easy to find. 

I do dig a nice 383, but a nice one is pricey to build. 

@pvfjr I would stroke out a 454 to a 496. Price wise the big block is going to be more expensive. Even just building a 454 with a decent cam is going to be more costly than a 383 stroker. I've priced it out the 383 stroker (if I buy a brand new block) would run about $8000ish without labor for machining and the 496 would be about $2000 more.

2 hours ago, SquareBody85 said:

@pvfjr I would stroke out a 454 to a 496. Price wise the big block is going to be more expensive. Even just building a 454 with a decent cam is going to be more costly than a 383 stroker. I've priced it out the 383 stroker (if I buy a brand new block) would run about $8000ish without labor for machining and the 496 would be about $2000 more.

9 hours ago, SquareBody85 said:

@Ronnie Money isn't an issue, I would imagine I'm going to spend anywhere from 7k-10k as it is.

Get the big block. But even with a 496 I think your expectations are a little optimistic unless you are going to do a lot of suspension work and run slicks to make it hook up.

My brother built his own 454-derived 496 for his '70 Chevelle.  The necessary parts are widely available and options for completing the top-end are limited only by your wallet.  Properly done, these engines are very reliable.  Like I said above, it can be dressed 'old-school' and will look right at home in your square-body.  ;)

I'm guessing there are a whole lot of chevy forums...a WHOLE lot...that could give the OP the kind of guidance he's looking for on that particular issue. Many super knowledgeable engine and hot rod people here but the focus is a little different. We'd love to see pictures of your pickup, though. Those are great looking trucks. Best wishes on the restoration!

@JamesR I don't have any up to date pictures but this is when I got it over the summer. I got the truck for free, But I had to do some work to get it out of the hole in the woods that it had sunk into. It's in pretty solid condition aside from a rocker and a couple spots around the wheel wells on the bed. I currently have the bed off and half the paint stripped. I'm having a hell of a time getting the paint off seeing how the people who attempted to restore it before me just kept repainting it. I've found silver, teal, red and blue paint on the truck so far.

Screenshot_20231206_082748_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1