1960Edsel Ranger 2 Door Hardtop $8500 Minnesota

Marketplace - 1960 Edsel ranger | Facebook

image.png.002978d1692813dd4aadd4eaf5426f00.png

image.png.264ff0f7e2b1121ce54be350f6178b69.png

Seller's Description

This is a 1960 Edsel Ranger 2dr Hardtop. The Edsels used the same fastback bodies as the 1960 Ford Starliners, except they used the much cooler Edsel grille and tail light design! They only manufactured 295 of these over 60 years ago. That's correct, only 295, so how many can be left? Restoration work was started on this one and then, like so many, the project was abandoned. Basically, all they did was some disassembly, a little sanding, and then quit. From what I can tell, the only parts currently missing are some glass pieces (which you would want to buy new anyway), some interior panels (again, which you would want to buy new anyway), and an interior garnish molding. When I went to pick the Ranger up, it didn't have a hood on it and some trim wasn't there. I drove to Indiana and bought the hood that's currently on it. I spray bombed some color on the hood, mainly for protection (as it does need a little work), and it looks a little better too. I drove to New York and bought almost all of the trim it needed. The trunk floor is rusty and there is a little rust on the driver side floor. The rest of the sheet metal on this car, both outer and underneath, is in amazing shape! Check out the pictures. Most of the exterior is still wearing the original factory paint too, so you can really see how nice the metal really is. You just don't find them like this anymore! Be sure to check out the condition of the chrome pieces. The front bumper appears to have been rechromed and the rest of the chrome really looks good. There is very little pitting or rust. Overall, the parking light housings, grilles, tail light bezels, etc, are nice and shiny. It's very difficult to find 60 year old chrome in this condition. This Ranger has a 292 V8, an automatic transmission, and Air Conditioning, however, the AC is incomplete. It starts and stops just fine and is yard driveable. It would probably go down the road as well, although I wouldn't recommend it until some glass was installed and the wiring was updated. The fuel tank was disconnected when I got it, so I am just using a jug under the hood as well as an electric fuel pump. It has brand new dual exhaust from the manifolds back, brand new plugs, points, cap, rotor, condensor, and plug wires. Although it seems to run pretty well, it does smoke a little bit after it runs for a while. I am happy to answer any questions you might have or take more pictures if you'd like. I may also be able to deliver this Ranger right to your door, just let me know where you're located and we can go from there. Lastly, the cowl tag was lost in the disassembly, but I do have a clean and clear Minnesota title for it issued in my name that matches the frame serial number. Thanks!
  • Like 3

Great style on this Edsel. I have always been a fan of the '60 Ford Starliner and that "C" pillar is what really sets that car off. I was unaware that Edsel produced a vehicle with that roof line. IMO this car will be a tough sell due to it's overall condition. GLWTS

• Like 2

It will be a tough sell but some Edsel collectors are rabid about the rare ones.  The owner is restoring 2 1960 Edsels now and can't find the time or money for a 3rd, reason for sale.  

How much of the asking price is because it is one of 295 ever made vs a similar Starliner?   Starliners themselves in restorable condition are rare, despite a much higher production.  

I would say a 1960 Starliner with a V8 as a project is at least $3,000 in similar condition. 

This will likely sell to an Edsel collector - friend of the owner. 

• Like 1