wiper washerfluid spare bottle 1960 Buick LeSabre?

joseph demeyer

I have a 1960 Buick LeSabre and recently bought a replica wiper washerfluid bottle: the glass triangular one with a replica ( well they don't make the exact  Buick one but the GM) sticker and black metal cap and metal holder. But now where to place it in the engine bay ? I have not come across any photos of it....In the cars engine bay on the right side just opposite the oil and tranny dipsticks I see two holes in the inner fender which would be a good enough place to attach the holder because the gas attendant while checking those dipsticks would also look at the bottle (though walking around the car to the opposite where the automatic washer fluid reservoir is entails the risk of dropping the glass bottle - those hands can be greasy, right ?)  were it not that the those holes in the fender are 4 inces apart while in the bottle holder they are three inches ( is it also not the exact replica ? I doubt it because the metal strip is almost too short to have two holes at that distance. Or is the entire assembly an incorrect replica ? I doubt that because i did find on e-bay a purportedly original 1960 Buick assembly; the holder looks also like the replica. But it is in really bad shape so not worth it to go back that far in time.  Was this an accessory and was it up to the buyer to place it anywhere but suitably in the engine bay ? Sorry for the long expose, but because it is quite a visible object  in the engine bay I want to make sure I get it right and originaly placed if and as done so in the factory.

• MrEarl changed the title to wiper washerfluid spare bottle 1960 Buick LeSabre?

Look for a pair of appropriately spaced "dimples" in the fenderwell or on the core support. Those are where the Kleerview/OptiKleen bottle's bracket would mount.

The bottle came standard on Oldsmobiles with optional 2-speed wipers and washers and/or Wide-Arc wipers. I would think the same for Buick.

• Like 1

It must have been an accessory (not factory installed) so the owner could choose the location. In my car there are indeed two dimples in the right inner fender opposite the dip sticks but the space between them is one inch longer than between  the holes in the metal bottle holder clamp...so who knows ?  But I am considering placing the holder clamp on the firewall between the wiper motor and the VIN plate (covering it by just an inch of the bottle neck. ) Yes it will be horizontally, looking a bit weird, but don't want to take the risk that the gas attendant drops it when walking from right to left side to fill the fluid reservoir : those greasy hands ! but still making sure they tighten the bottle cap well so no fluid drips out. Will include a photo next time. Thanks for your investigative comments !

I agree with Smartin, that I have never seen one on a 1960 Buick.  With the large reservoir, the refill bottle was not needed.  I do remember them on Oldsmobiles of the time and possibly later Buicks (1964).  If you decide to mount it on your '60, the original fluid was green, not blue, so add some yellow food coloring to it.

• Like 3