1929 Cadillac, not mine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/720579279978917/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%

I have a 1929 Cadillac that is totally rust free,needs restoration but it is completely original,must see to appreciate. Would like to TRADE,TRADE,TRADE!!! Street rod,hot rod,rat rod,etc. Came from an Estate. PM me with what you have.$21,000 Sabina,Ohio
See less

- 30cb -4e80-8021-d09fd19a1400  image.png.00c7000e161fca8e2201de05e714bcf5.png

image.png

This car is about 20 miles from me and I looked at it a few weeks ago. It’s rough!! Wood in the body is rotten. Missing carb, cowl lights windshield visor. One head is off other is loose. Engine is stuck grille/radiator is rusted away from frame. It’s a 5k car MAX! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I messaged the seller asking for more pictures including some of the interior and engine and he totally blew me off saying if I was interested come look at it in person… Red Flag! When I stated I live 5 hrs from the car and wasn’t going to drive 10 hrs total to blindly look at a car. He simply said “where else are you going to find a total rust free 1929 Cadillac for sale”… that response just proved I didn’t need this car. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, Dj59 said:

This car is about 20 miles from me and I looked at it a few weeks ago. It’s rough!! Wood in the body is rotten. Missing carb, cowl lights windshield visor. One head is off other is loose. Engine is stuck grille/radiator is rusted away from frame. It’s a 5k car MAX! 

Thanks for the report back. Gland I didn’t drive 10hrs to see it. 

39 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

…and does the green paint imply that it was already restored once, perhaps in the 70’s. ? 

From what I could tell it seemed to be original paint. About the only thing it had going for it. 

Every day I search the dark corners of the internet, looking at cars across the country. Setting condition aside, that is the only one, year, make and model for sale at this time. It all comes down to what a buyer wants, and what a seller will take for it. Neat car, looks very restorable. Not a car you can drive as is with a survivor look. Cheapest way into this car is a complete rebuild of the chassis and drivetrain. Leaving the rest alone for a survivor look. Purchase price, and cost to do that. Puts invested money way over the value of the car. And if the wood structure is rotten. A person will be forced to address the body on some level. This car falls into a tough market. The asking price is not really out of line, for a buyer wanting to modify the car. A high asking price will push it away from a restoration.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Every day I search the dark corners of the internet, looking at cars across the country. Setting condition aside, that is the only one, year, make and model for sale at this time. It all comes down to what a buyer wants, and what a seller will take for it. Neat car, looks very restorable. Not a car you can drive as is with a survivor look. Cheapest way into this car is a complete rebuild of the chassis and drivetrain. Leaving the rest alone for a survivor look. Purchase price, and cost to do that. Puts invested money way over the value of the car. And if the wood structure is rotten. A person will be forced to address the body on some level. This car falls into a tough market. The asking price is not really out of line, for a buyer wanting to modify the car. A high asking price will push it away from a restoration.

All very true and thank you for your thorough daily searches of those dark corners!  We do appreciate them! 

Given just the cost of paint alone, many cars we see are no longer economically restorable. 

Lucky for us, car people aren't always rational in their purchases.

Also, although I'd guess half the Model A's in the world are now V8 powered, I've never seen a 29 Caddy with a small block. 

• Haha 1

My 1929 Cadillac club sedan.  
“Restored” in the early-mid sixties. Then sold to a guy who stored it in a warehouse in the very dry end of Washington state for 40+ years. 

Eventually his complex estate was settled and it made its way to me 7-8 years ago.  Good original interior, excellent body and wood. I believed that I could get it running easily.  

Nope, stuck valves (very dry storage) and stuck heads necessitated a $15,000 high quality rebuild plus Radiator engine accessories etc.  Left the paint alone. CCCA scored it 80 points. 

$25k to buy it. $25k fixing it.  Been advised (and tend to agree) that it has an actual sales value about $30,000. Ask what you want, but this is what you’ll get.  

The OP car is either a labor of love, a parts car, or a hot rod.  

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

• Like 4