1941 Plymouth P-12 brake issue

JohnnyMaryjo

I had my brakes adjusted . but now  the brake peddle goes close to the floor

I have to pump the brake pedal for it to come up  where it should be   why is this happening 

before they did the adjustments the brakes were fine No idea why  they did this.

the pedal was  where it should be  up and not near the floor

Why is this ? and what to do to correct it 

Johnny

Is the Master Cylinder Full of Brake Fluid ??? Meaning No Leaks ???

If it is Full, meaning No Leaks, the ONLY place that pressure originates is the Master Cylinder…

Meaning that the Brake Fluid is rushing past the internal components of the Master 

Cylinder….

( And then, the second part of this equation, is —- Is the inside of the Master Cylinder pitted badly enough, that that is then a problem of the housing being no longer acceptable… )

I have the Master Cylinder —- Brand NEW —- and the Master Cylinder Kit….

P. M. Me, if interested…. Craig….

2 hours ago, JohnnyMaryjo said:

I had my brakes adjusted . but now  the brake peddle goes close to the floor

I have to pump the brake pedal for it to come up  where it should be   why is this happening 

before they did the adjustments the brakes were fine No idea why  they did this.

the pedal was  where it should be  up and not near the floor

Why is this ? and what to do to correct it 

Johnny

Make certain the shoes are adjusted to just barely rub the drums when adjusting. ALWAYS bleed the system after adjusting the shoes. Make certain the brakes are bled by starting at the furthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder and work your way closer.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Here is the good, bad and ugly of the Chrysler Lockheed brake adjustment from a Grey-Rock brake service manual.  The brake shoes have two levels of adjustment, one for minor wear and one for major adjustment.  If the wrong adjustment is made the clearances between the shoe and drum can get too big.

B3FCBC99-438A-467F-91CE-098447BF8846.jpeg

ADA96D82-A3B0-4DA0-B49A-AD41AAA70D47.jpeg

• Like 1

If the brakes had decent feel pedal height and when you brought it in to the shop and now low pedal....

Hopefully they did not do or mess with the major brake adjustment.

The typical minor adjustment takes 15 minutes up on a lift. Rotate eight cam adjusting bolts in the correct rotation just enough to cause very minor shoe drag on the drums.

And of course check brake fluid level before/after work.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It sounds like they adjusted them wrong.

There are 2 adjustments, major and minor. The major adjustment is only done when you have the brakes apart as for relining.

The minor adjustment is to take up wear. Adjust shoes till they just touch the drum lightly.

If the brakes are way out of adjustment, they may need to be adjusted again after a week or 2, after that they will hold their adjustment for a long time.