For Sale: 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2dr Sport Coupe - "54k Original miles, True survivor, Two owner car" - PA - Not Mine - 12/16 Deleted

For sale on Facebook: 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2-door Sport Coupe in PA  -  $18,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/175116412338470/-1963-Pontiac-Catalina-2dr-Sport-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1963 Pontiac Catalina 2-door Sport Coupe

• 2 owners
  • Driven 54,411 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Blue

54,411 original miles. True survivor. All original everything except new overhauled carburetor and new exhaust pipe and muffler. Runs, drives, perfect. 2 owner car 389 2 barrel automatic. 3 speed. Roto hydramatic Must see to believe No hurry to sell but need the space. Car is located in PA. $18k firm.

image.png.14911206d51cdeebeaf4a5372b8f1f60.png

image.png.47e61cbab49986bf1740cf50a8050719.png

image.png.65ac4f633d1a7454d688d7c420392db9.png

image.png.fe58797b9808afd55a24e74feabe1104.png

image.png.3df21ea0df49354c2b6cf221839621e3.png

image.png.1adcae1dc2c3607eda53f57fe987a5f0.png

image.png.61b0533a081c266ab90cb241742ffc90.png

image.png.38a7f0d0f8392fae8b340c5f871afa63.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2dr Sport Coupe - "54k Original miles, True survivor, Two owner car" - PA - Not Mine

Seems like strong money for a fairly plain Catalina, however, mileage is on-par with my GP and the condition is very nice original.  Wrinkled driver's side sail panel makes me suspect a leaky rear window gasket.  Need to check inside the trunk...

If I wanted one I would definitely test this seller to see what 'firm' means...  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To me this looks like a very promising and beautiful car. If I lived closer to PA I'd go look at it. Interior looks darned nice aside from the headliner thing EmTee mentioned.  Interesting that these cars had sort of quasi-Thunderbird looking emblems on the seats. I'd like to verify that "all original everything" includes paint.

Oh, another thing to verify: condition of the Roto-Hydromatic transmission.

• Like 2

The poster child, or one of the poster children, for why no one does "projects" any more.  See the long thread in the General Section. 

Yes, it may be plain, but you slide behind the wheel, get situated, and move the key to start and the 389 comes to life.  You are instantly transported back to 1963.   I have owned and daily driven a 64 Grand Prix, loved it, but not much difference from this Catalina.   

$18,000 is too much.  But not too much higher.  Say you offered $14,000, he would take it.  $10,000 is probably too low for such a nice original low mileage car.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Aaron65 said:

I guess I'm not seeing the plainness here. 

Plain in comparison to a Bonneville, however, it's definitely a handsome car.  I prefer the look of the shorter Catalina/GP to the Bonneville, which to me looks too long after the C pillar...

• Like 1

Ever notice how much interest nice looking original drivers get here. This is a wonderful example and look at all the replies. I'll admit I'm a sucker for this car and others like it. Keep them coming!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The poster child, or one of the poster children, for why no one does "projects" any more.  See the long thread in the General Section. 

Absolutely. For my '65 T-Bird to get to the level of quality of this '63 Catalina (or apparent level, based on the photos) would require a total investment of two or three times the Catalina's asking price. It's in this context that the asking price doesn't seem too out of line to me, but I know little about early sixties Pontiac coupe values. My running driving T-Bird project will get sold sometime next year.

• Like 1

The fact that cars like this one exist is precisely why one shouldn't immediately jump on the first example that they see.  Improving and maintaining a car like this one will be much less expensive and allow much more 'seat time' in the long run.  When shopping for a hobby car, be patient.  Join the appropriate marque club and talk to members.  They can usually identify cars with known ownership history that will allow purchase with 'eyes open'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2dr Sport Coupe - "54k Original miles, True survivor, Two owner car" - PA - Not Mine - 12/16 Deleted