Curtis Model 14 Key Cutter Tool Information Needed

NailheadBob

Friend of mine was given a briefcase with the Model 14 key cutter with #1121 round disc, auto key code book 22nd edition, and additional envelopes from each additional year, with key codes from 1972 thru 1980, and 7 carriages pink RA,black CA, red GM A B C D, red GM , green FML 5432, red/black CB and another black DS.

What year is Model 14 Key cutter from?

The book has also has instructions on how to use the key cutter, and the B-10 key blank section starts with code 8000 and up

Another friend told me that Curtis has a code book that goes back to code 2910 for B-10 key blanks, what edition code book would have these early codes?

I did see a topic from 2017 from @Joe in Canada and a reply from @joe_padavano with information on this Model 14 key cutter.

I also seen @NTX5467 have information on other topics about this Key Cutter Model 14.

Any information on this unit would be appreciated,

Bob

IMG_8445.png

IMG_8446.png

IMG_8447.png

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photos (see edit history)

I have multiple Model 14 and Model 15 key cutters. I love them. While I have only used them for GM keys so far, I have the carriages for other manufacturer's keys as well. The tapered slots in the disk allow you to gauge a key to find the cut depth to allow you to make a fresh key from a worn one. The Curtis code book has several pages on how to adjust and tune the Model 14. This made a huge difference in the quality of the keys I was making. Also be aware that the highest quality key blanks are much tougher to cut, and when you get to the last cut at the very tip of the key, the carriage can move out of place, causing a mis-cut. I will clamp the carriage in place with a vice grip or something similar to preclude that from happening.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I came online in the Chevy parts department, we were using the later model cutter, which had movable tabs for the numbered cut depths.  The earlier "round disc" version (pictured) was archived.  The earlier codes were in a smaller black loose leaf notebook, with the groove code of the particular key the codes were for in each section.

Before the round disc cutter, I seem to recall some stories about using a micrometer and file to do the cuts with.  Which would make that round disc cutter working on the round head B&S keys, which would go back into the middle 1950s.

Somewhere in the 1970s or so, the codes were printed on 8.5"x11" paper, stapled together, from Curtis.  Again, with the groove code of the key blank that the cut codes were for listed at the top of the page.  Once I learned how to read the 5 cut levels, it was easy to look at a worn key and duplicate the code onto a new key.  We also had one of the electric key "grinder" cutters for duplicating keys, but if you duplicated a worn key, you got a new key with that worn code, so I liked to do hand cuts instead, to very good success.

We later got the leased computerized cutter mechanism to do the 10-cut GM keys.  But even THEY need to be correctly calibrated in order to cut a key by code, correctly.  As GM proliferated their keys in later years, it was much less expensive to lease that cutter and its cartridges, as I recall.  Then came the "side-cut" keys currently in use.  Basically a numeric-control cutter which also uses 5 levels of side cuts.  Another lease situation.  No real secrets in that mix, either, IF you know what you are looking at.

When the computerized cutter appeared, I would have preferred to continue with the hand cutters, UNTIL I was told how much they cost.  Yikes!  Plus needing one for EACH of the different GM carlines which had different-series keys.  

Just some recollections,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

B-10 starts at code 8000 for all B&S locks I have seen from the late 40s onward to 1966. Curtis documents I have say from 1935 onward to 1966. In 1967 the 5 cut depth series started, along with the different keyways, even though the blanks looked like B-10 and B-11 ones. Then with the steering column lock of 1969 they came out with the large rectangle and oval keys from 1969 onward to the pellet days, etc.

I would like to see some documentation on B-10/B-11 cuts for codes before 8000. Maybe those are the earlier blanks, B-1, etc. 

Note, the cuts listed on the model 15 cams are NOT the GM (B&S) depths for the 4 cut depth B-10/B-11. They are off 1 because of the change in 1967 to the 5 depth cut, and Curtis' carriage/cam set design. If GM (B&S) said a cut for a particular key was 342123, the Model 15 cam would be set to 453234. Confused? And, those earlier tumblers were coded by color, not number! See any GM early 60s shop manual. 😃 Just use Curtis code book for Curtis clippers and all is well. 😉

I have the model 15s, never used the model 14, but as Joe says, it works too. The model 15 comes in at least two different angle of cuts, one for GM/B&S and one for Ford/Chrysler.

Google Curtis Clipper model 14 and a company will show up with some answers to your questions. They stock repair parts and books. OK, I did it for you, Hawley Lock Supply:

https://www.hawleylocksupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HLS&Category_Code=C14

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Frank DuVal thank you for the link, pretty cool,

Do most prefer Model 15 because it is easier to use with levers on top to select code numbers?

Does Model 15 with 2 different angle cuts, a person would need 2 different Curtis cutters?

joe_padavano, NTX5467,&  Frank DuVal I thank all of you for your great knowledge of information.

Bob

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

B-10 starts at code 8000 for all B&S locks I have seen from the late 40s onward to 1966. Curtis documents I have say from 1935 onward to 1966. In 1967 the 5 cut depth series started, along with the different keyways, even though the blanks looked like B-10 and B-11 ones. Then with the steering column lock of 1969 they came out with the large rectangle and oval keys from 1969 onward to the pellet days, etc.

I would like to see some documentation on B-10/B-11 cuts for codes before 8000. Maybe those are the earlier blanks, B-1, etc. 

The B10 blanks were used back to 1936 (35?). Note that the key blank blades are exactly the same for B10 (octagon) and B11 (pear) keys. The only difference is the shape of the head. You can cut a B10 blank to fit a B11 lock and vice versa.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

Does Model 15 with 2 different angle cuts, a person would need 2 different Curtis cutters?

Yes. I was sold both by the Curtis salesman years ago. 😉 

The 45 degree clipper is for classic GM (B&S, yes, Briggs and Stratton was the lock supplier to GM for years!) keys along with Ford and Chrysler. There is a wide head and narrow head version of the 45 degree, with the narrow used for GM 6 cut keys.

The 47 degree cutter is for mostly foreign keys.

• Thanks 1

I Also have a Brigs & Stratton code book copyrighted 1938 along with several clippers 14 & 15. I got them with good intentions but never cut one key with them in the past 15 years. I did sell off some of the springs and pins in brown GM packaging. 

It is at the bottom of my to do list I guess along with the gas pumps.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Joe, the B&S book from the late 30s, does it only have codes 8000 to 9499? Or are there codes for blanks other than B-10, B-11 aka Groove 15 in B&S speak?

I found this nugget on the internet, the B&S 1939 catalog:

https://aftermarket.strattec.com/application/files/7015/5181/2569/1939_Briggs___Stratton_Catalog.pdf

No codes, but a wealth of part numbers for locks for many cars, NOT just GM. 😉 ❄️ 🐪

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Frank that is awesome you posted that link

thank you very much

@joe_padavano, probably question like Franks

locksmith near me says he has book with codes from 2910 to 1966

what year did code 2910 start?

ebay has listing for kit for model 14 clipper with 2 books, 6 discs, approximately 32 carriages

Bob

EDIT: Link to ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256295727417

IMG_8537.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)

first page top left corner of page says key number 1000 to 1249.

Page 38 has key no.  A201 - 400  

This computer is a new one and when I figure out how to scan I will post what you want. 

I had better hold off and sit down figure out how to red this book like what is key #    and bitted  ????    6W84 -7W97  I am lost with the language here. 

Bitting is the cuts of the key. What the code refers to, like 424324.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The key part numbers are the clue. See the link I provided for the B&S catalog. A Google search for B&S part number 72738 brings up this catalog, and on  page 8 I find this blank to be a groove 12, a double sided blank, with a round head. That explains the L and R boxes, as each side of the double sided blank get three cuts. Insert key into carriage from the left for three cuts, remove and insert from right for other three cuts. Blank part number 72740 is the same, but with an octagon head.

How to get from this page to the Curtis model 14 settings would require the model 14 instructions, I think, or some experimenting.

I do wish page 10 of that catalog link was clearer. Lots of blurry data that seems to be important. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to Frank's post, these are the key blanks referenced on that page.

image.png.563c277b490d44d868f46c726bcd9004.png

These are 1934-35 Buick only, according to the 1939 catalog. The Key Number in the table would be the code stamped on the key and possibly the lock. The L and R numbers are the depth of the cuts for each of the three cuts on each side of the key. Note the Depth Table in the upper LH corner of the page. These cuts are made from left to right on the key, with the leftmost position being the one closest to the head of the key blank. For example, key 5500 from your table would have cuts 1-3-2 progressing from head to tip on one side and cuts 4-3-4 from head to tip on the other side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2