"PROJECT" has now become nearly unaffordable to ever do ?

arcticbuicks

Since retirement the fretting over money part has been ever more evident.

So yes, the wrong hobby.

But I find it very hard to turn my back on a very large part of my life for over 50 years. Licensed mechanic, 2 1/2 years working at a restoration shop ,mostly  mechanical work , but lots of the under the skin metal fabrication / repair. Floors, sub frames , pretty much everything but outer  skin. We had a real sheet metal wizard on staff that handled all the skins. Further 3 years at a British car shop. Gave me enough time in the trade to qualify as a journeyman tradesman.

High School shop teacher. About 1/2 and 1/2 mechanics and machine shop /drafting. Only did this for 2 years, then went on to be a Marine Engineer on a large vehicle ferry for 29 years.

And eye balls deep in the hobby all the way along.

Just no way my retirement income keeps pace with the accelerating cost of old cars. When a set of tires costs $6,000.00 Canadian, I know I am being pushed to the sidelines , like it or not.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

You guys and your pricey tires!!   Choices you make.   Mine come right off the rack.  My choice. 

It's  a HOBBY.  Enjoy.

Ben

Can anyone tell be where I can buy 700/19 right off the rack at a cheap price?????? 

If you have an older car 50s and up no problem for tires fight off the rack for a driver. But when you get into not too common pre war tire the availability has dropped like the sales. So all that reflects on the price. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Just no way my retirement income keeps pace with the accelerating cost of old cars. When a set of tires costs $6,000.00 Canadian, I know I am being pushed to the sidelines , like it or not.

Model T projects are a good entry level for the beginner but not now seeing the parts prices. A brass rad is over $3000 Canadian or $1950 US up from $1200 US. They want $100 US just to rebuild a K&W coil now where RV Anderson RIP only charged $40 for one 3 years ago. The prices are going to hurt the hobby as 1912Staver says.  The clubs are trying to get the younger generation in the hobby but what is happening with the cost factor it is going to be a rough ride. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 7:01 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I don’t consider this era cheesy. This is how younger kids can get into the hobby but most want to modify and then get lost in the weeds.  

My 1st collector cars back in the 80s were a 76 Trans Am for $1000.  Wish I still had that right?!   Old trucks, and other uncool stuff.   

I really like this era F body Camaro's and Firebirds. I remember going to look at them new in showroom.  Now 34 + years later I still do.