19 inch wood wheels swap

dodge28

As a matter of clarity and language, "wood wheels" are in fact wooden "spoke" Wheels. And "wire wheels" when discussing the antique era automobiles are better referred to as "wire spoke wheels". That distinction became unnecessary years later as wooden spoke wheels became so obsolete that there was little place for confusion. However with automobiles of the 1920s and earlier, it helps to be clear about it. 

That will help you later if you decide to pursue this course and advertise for parts you need. Clarity in the titles of online advertisements go a long way to getting the responses you seek. Be sure to tell whether you are wanting to buy (sometimes abbreviated as "WTB") or wanting to sell ("For Sale" or "FS").

I am not very familiar with the 1928 dodge automobiles, so all I can give is some generalizations.

"Is it possible?" Certainly. Is it worth it? Maybe, depends on marque specifics and your reasons for wanting the change.

A lot of people are afraid of wooden spoke wheels. Rather silly really. If wooden spoke wheels are in good condition, and tight as they absolutely need to be? They are not the weak archaic technology people today think they are. They were not the go-to most common wheels on many tens of millions of automobiles manufactured for thirty years because they weren't any good! They were engineered, designed and built to withstand the terrible roads of their day. They can handle speeds easily double anything your Dodge will ever attempt! They do need to be inspected occasionally for any signs of loosening, as become loose will destroy the wheel quickly at modern speeds. As long as the wood (and frankly metal pieces!) is good, they are not in any significant manner more unsafe than steel or wire spoke wheels. The modern era failure rate is probably worse for wire spoke wheels than it is for the many times more wooden spoke wheels on the road today.

Accidents and collisions often can break a wooden spoke wheel. Breaking a wooden spoke wheel very rarely ever causes an accident.

By the way. I am one of the few people regularly on this forum that has actually driven antique racing cars at actual racing speeds on actual half mile (half mile plus!) race tracks, on wooden spoke wheels. Those events I was fortunate to be a part of nearly fifty years ago were the most fun I ever had in my life! And I would do it again in a minute if I had an opportunity to do so!

Generally speaking, changing wooden to wire spoke wheels requires changing the wheels (obviously), as well as the hubs (all four!), and probably the brake drums (some cars the brake drums might be interchangeable or easily modified?). Also, almost always, some changes may have to be made to the spare tire carrier. Often, getting a workable spare tire carrier for some cars can be the hardest part to get. Fender side-mount spares may or may not be difficult to change. Rear mounted spares will likely require a totally different spare tire mounting assembly.

Whatever you decide? Good luck! And enjoy that car.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

As a matter of clarity and language, "wood wheels" are in fact wooden "spoke" Wheels. And "wire wheels" when discussing the antique era automobiles are better referred to as "wire spoke wheels". That distinction became unnecessary years later as wooden spoke wheels became so obsolete that there was little place for confusion. However with automobiles of the 1920s and earlier, it helps to be clear about it. 

That will help you later if you decide to pursue this course and advertise for parts you need. Clarity in the titles of online advertisements go a long way to getting the responses you seek. Be sure to tell whether you are wanting to buy (sometimes abbreviated as "WTB") or wanting to sell ("For Sale" or "FS").

I am not very familiar with the 1928 dodge automobiles, so all I can give is some generalizations.

"Is it possible?" Certainly. Is it worth it? Maybe, depends on marque specifics and your reasons for wanting the change.

A lot of people are afraid of wooden spoke wheels. Rather silly really. If wooden spoke wheels are in good condition, and tight as they absolutely need to be? They are not the weak archaic technology people today think they are. They were not the go-to most common wheels on many tens of millions of automobiles manufactured for thirty years because they weren't any good! They were engineered, designed and built to withstand the terrible roads of their day. They can handle speeds easily double anything your Dodge will ever attempt! They do need to be inspected occasionally for any signs of loosening, as become loose will destroy the wheel quickly at modern speeds. As long as the wood (and frankly metal pieces!) is good, they are not in any significant manner more unsafe than steel or wire spoke wheels. The modern era failure rate is probably worse for wire spoke wheels than it is for the many times more wooden spoke wheels on the road today.

Accidents and collisions often can break a wooden spoke wheel. Breaking a wooden spoke wheel very rarely ever causes an accident.

By the way. I am one of the few people regularly on this forum that has actually driven antique racing cars at actual racing speeds on actual half mile (half mile plus!) race tracks, on wooden spoke wheels. Those events I was fortunate to be a part of nearly fifty years ago were the most fun I ever had in my life! And I would do it again in a minute if I had an opportunity to do so!

Generally speaking, changing wooden to wire spoke wheels requires changing the wheels (obviously), as well as the hubs (all four!), and probably the brake drums (some cars the brake drums might be interchangeable or easily modified?). Also, almost always, some changes may have to be made to the spare tire carrier. Often, getting a workable spare tire carrier for some cars can be the hardest part to get. Fender side-mount spares may or may not be difficult to change. Rear mounted spares will likely require a totally different spare tire mounting assembly.

Whatever you decide? Good luck! And enjoy that car.

When the previous owner of one of my 1931 Dodge coupes changed the wheels from wood spokes to wire spokes, he did not have the correct rear mounted spare tire rack. I had to make one, so a friend sent me photos of his. By far the hardest part to change over, mostly because they only made 3,178 of the 2 passenger coupes. Both of mine were ordered with wire wheels, but with the lack of parts because of the Great Depression, they were both built with wood spoked wheels.

• Like 1

Thank you Wane for your insight. I am never too old to learn @87 plus . The one reason I was thinking  of replacing the wood wheels is in Ontario, Canada wood wheels are not allowed on the 400 designated highways. But I do not care to drive on the 400 highways. Calima restored all 4 wheels  recently. I think the metal spoke wheels looks kind of cute and if it was not too much work and expense I would switch. Age is against me so I will not attempt anything except to finish the project. In a previous article I said this project is my hobby to keep me occupied after retirement. The car was complete and running when I bought it home. After a few months parked  the  the driver side door dropped. Some kind of critter ate the wood sill under the "A" pillar. I took every piece apart and spared no expense in de rusting and  putting it back together.

Keiser, thank you for your advice,

28 Chrysler, thank you. 

• Like 3

LI BENTLY, Yes The Dodge Senior is touted as 19 inch wood wheel. 600/650 tires.  Stand the rim up and measure the diameter. It is actually 20 inches. I have been looking for a spare for the last 12 years . The rim has 6 mounting lugs and is 4 and a 1/4 inches wide.

Sometimes Canadian market cars from this period have larger diameter wheels than U.S. market cars / normaly stated specifications. Usually one inch larger is what I have seen. There is a good chance Australian / New Zealand cars and other export markets are similar. Many Canadian roads in the 1920's were quite primitive, the extra inch helped handle the situation.

• Like 1