1956 Imperial Ghia Limousine $4750

These are truly rare, in those years Chrysler made very few of the livery coach series.  Cadillac dominated the LWB "Limousine" class of automobiles in the 1950's.   As one who truly appreciates them, this would have been a bucket list restoration  15 years ago.  

It would never be worth what a person put into it, but it is in this condition for that reason. Some oddball on the Imperial On Site Club has a restored 1955 if memory serves - on consignment for six figures.  And that is crickets.  

I seriously looked at a 1950 Imperial LWB car for sale and asked opinions on it about 8 months ago.   I dunno, I guess I just like the fancy schmanzy cars from a by gone era.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Was the Ghia connection just styling advice? I have always loved this oversized version of the Karmann Ghia body

The 55-56 Imperial limos have nothing to do with Ghia.  They were totally in house. Totally USA built.  

The 1957 to 1965 WERE the product of USA parts shipped to Italy for modifications and assembly. 

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

These are truly rare, in those years Chrysler made very few of the livery coach series.  Cadillac dominated the LWB "Limousine" class of automobiles in the 1950's

Actually Chrysler totally dominated the “Long Wheelbase” market. 

Think of all those early to mid fifties Desotos and Chrysler suburbans type of cars.  

The difference was that the Chryslers were more livery, taxi and utility class long wheelbase 7 passenger types not the expensive luxury versions.

There was a nice 47-8 Imperial 7 passenger on BaT recently.  Predictably it was bid to base sedan price. 

Despite the rarity and original cost, Long wheelbase cars are typically worth less than a standard sedan. They don’t fit in a standard garage and when you are behind the wheel you quickly learn why people were paid to drive them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Was the Ghia connection just styling advice? I have always loved this oversized version of the Karmann Ghia body. 

image.png.190d9684788b508c427dd6835a6595d9.png

Ghia was contracted to coach-build Virgil Exner's designs, though Italian car design was an influence on his work.

From the mid-1930's until the early 1950's, Chrysler nameplates dominated the LWB/livery segment.  The DeSoto Skyview taxis were the most visible in cities.  Cities had passenger capacity partitioned off from driver regulation that could only be fulfilled by LWB models.  In 1949-'50, the regulations were relaxed to allow standard sedans into taxi/livery service. From then through 1954, the segment diminished quickly, concentrating on the Cadillac 75.  Chrysler, having tooled that body series for 1949, played out the remaining sales through 1954, when an all-new 1955 LWB platform would have to be tooled.  The potential volume didn't warrant the investment.  What is remarkable is Chrysler continued to build these 1955-'56 Crown Imperials in-house, apparently for the prestige value they would confer on the now-independent Imperial nameplate.  At 172 for 1955 and 170 for 1956, they must have lost money on each one.  

.  While the Cadillac 75 had done a healthy business annually, it stayed above the taxi market fray, servicing the funeral and upscale livery i.e. hotels, airport and rail station courtesy transportation, plus a percentage of executive/personal limousine sales.  In any year, approximately half the annual 75 production were 7-9-passenger sedans, not equipped with a partition window for limousine use.

• Like 2

I appreciate the corrections to my initial post.  As an aside, I want to clarify my comment that Cadillac "dominated" the LWB market from - say - 1946 through the 1960's.   It is true that DeSoto, Chrysler and I believe Dodge made LWB vehicles to transport folks to the airport and such, I should have slowed down and stated that Cadillac dominated the luxury or upmarket LWB transportation sales from 1946 to at least 1961, and likely until the custom trade starting stretching all makes in the 1970's.   

Let's not confuse a 1954 Dodge LWB 6 cylinder with a 1954 Cadillac Imperial car, whether open to the driver or a Limousine.  

To my knowledge, which is getting dated, the Cadillacs were built Packard style on a dedicated line.  Materials were top of the line including individual encapsulated springing in the seats, covered by wool broadcloth.  

My recollections that Ghia manufactured the Imperial Limousines must be incorrect in those years and I appreciate the correction.  However, am I not correct in stating that at some time, perhaps 64-66 era, the Imperial offered a Limousine from Ghia?  

In all cases, this LWB 1956 Imperial is a unicorn, a badly limping one, but if I had made a lot of money on my stock investments, I would gladly hand it over to my restorer and say send me the bill each month.   

One of the "cool" factors of the golden age of Limousines, which I loosely grasp at 1937 to 1958 - is that rich and interesting people owned them.  A local fellow near me in Newton, Iowa collected a Cadillac LWB 75 series from about 1949 to 1962.  At least one each year.  

Many years ago he started offering them for sale.  One that I inspected and inquired about was a 1956 Cadillac Imperial division window car.  Rough, but complete in inside storage.   It turned out to be owned by the Meredith Corporation.  

Some may say so?  Who is that?  Meredith was a media company, is a media company - famous for such magazines as Better Housekeeping and many more in the glory days of print.  They also were an early purchaser of TV licenses and radio and the 1956 Cadillac 75 was used to pick up politicians and uppity ups from the Des Moines airport or train station and ferry them to the local nicest hotels and meetings.   

So? Who purchased this rare 1956 Imperial Limousine?  Someone with money and privilege.  Which is why I like these cars.  I am Irish, and relatively poor from a poor background.   It's not about envy for me, but just that cool factor one can derive from ownership of any older car.  When you own a 1962 Chevy 4 door, and are driving it around your town, you need to imagine the working class owner of your ride, proudly showing off his new family car to the suburban neighbors, no difference.  

Every old car has a story.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Packard built the Senior and Junior models separately in the 1930’s. The 1954 Executive sedan and limo were built from Patricians by I believe Henney.  The Ghia Imperials start with the body after the 55-56, if I recall correctly.  

you’re correct in that the Cadillac 75 sold many more cars than either

Correct that these long wheelbase '55 and '56 Imperial Model 70 cars were built in house at Chrysler.

You may recall that Ike and Mamie Eisenhower were very fond of Chrysler products. They had Chrysler send a '55 Imperial limo to Derham Coachworks in Rosemont, PA and made into a presidential parade car. NOT referring to any of the three 1952/1956 parade phaetons. The completed '55 car had a large sunroof for standing during parades and the C-pillar was "hardtopped" with butted glass panels in door and quarter. And of course interior upgrades. Multiple press photos of this car found online. This car is in the car barn in Pennsylvania.
Then Mamie wanted a personalized '55 Imperial Derham for, you know, White House shopping trips and the like. It was used for less important state functions as well. Derham created this car as well and Mamie's particular specification was an elongated quarter window so she could wave to the public as well as be seen.
A third Derham was also done for the Eisenhower's this year and was, outward visibly, a standard limo. Some interior upgrades were built in. When the Eisenhowers left the White House it was in this car headed for Kansas. This car is not known to exist.

In '56 Derham did two more Imperial limousines. Both were identical with the Derham signature blind quarter window padded tops. And had coachcloth passenger compartment with leather chauffeur seating. Both were privately owned.

The CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) photo archives have photos of the above cars in the Photo Archive section under Derham. Edited by StillOutThere
club resource correction (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 10:56 AM, StillOutThere said:

The Barrieros Imperial limousines of 1965. A VERY interesting thorough explanation I had not seen previously.

https://en.escuderia.com/imperial-crown-barreiros-limousinas/

Link is not working. 

The subject car remains for sale and I’m sure there has been little interest. Curious if there would be any serious interest if it was price adjusted or if there is simply no one with deep enough pockets to restore this car. 

Restoration of it would leave you with a small fortune, but you would have to start with a very large fortune first.  

Then you would have a car that might be interesting to ride around in, but isn’t that fun to drive. 

I had trouble understanding these formal cars until I compared them to clothing. 
Which is more expensive and prestigious when new; a tailored tuxedo or designer sports wear?

Then in a used environment (thrift store?) which is more valuable, more usable, more FUN?

Even if it is custom tailored, formal clothing is constricting and imposes an expected behavior on the wearer (user). Formal clothes just don’t exude a comfortable carefree, let your hair down, relaxing feeling. 

I know that you are attracted to these formal cars, and I am(?) was(?) too.  I currently have a 58 Imperial (Ghia) in my barn awaiting restoration.  I have had it for about 30 years and have yet to really start on it. In the meantime I bought a 1971 Cadillac 75 (non divided) to “enjoy”. 
I fantasized about taking all my friends out and having 7 passengers in it. After 4 years of ownership I only ever carried 2 additional people in the backseat, which I never experienced because nobody would drive me around in it.  I eventually sold it because it was a pain to move in and out of the barn and it was not easily parked and it was even tough to go through a Mc Donald’s drive through. 

My suggestion to you is to buy yourself a 1970s Cadillac 75.  Nice ones can be had inexpensively. Much cheaper than a convertible.  Then you can experience a formal car for yourself and not break the bank. 

• Like 1

You are correct, these are my favorite collector cars.  Usually sellers have an inflated price not commensurate with market pricing. 

As for the 70s era 75 series, I would love a 74-76 75 series. I do not see any 75 series for sale on my Facebook feed so I am not sure how available they are.