1952 Studebaker question

Graveyard

Guys i have a chance to buy a 52 studebaker in really good shape,runs good but the brakes are locked up is all that it needs.Owned by a old man in his 80s and made me a good price on it because he is getting very sick and can no longer drive it or anything. It is a champion 6 cylinder standard shift still has the oil bath filter and all. dont know what they are worth so just going to try and flip it for a small profit so if any of you are interested let me know and i can work somethign out with you before i put it on e bay or somere else for sale.i going to need about 7500 for the car to make a little profit at that price.Car looks very nice and straight.I had to crop some of the photos to make them fit so if you want more information just give me a call at 606-454-5052 

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

30 minutes ago, Graveyard said:

I [am] going to need about 7500 for the car to make a little profit... 

Mr. Graveyard, we're happy to help you and advise you.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on the forum.

Flipping might not be as easy as you think.  Studebakers

don't command high prices, and I think you may find $7500

difficult to achieve.  

Never look at ASKING prices on the internet.  Some are

ludicrous, even twice a car's real value.  Such sellers don't

earn as much respect in the hobby as they would if they

were knowledgeable, totally honest and straightforward,

and realistic in pricing from the beginning.

Ebay's SELLING prices are worthwhile checking, however.  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I hate to throw cold water on your endeavor, but your expectations may be a bit optimistic. I'm a Studebaker guy but what I believe is still not gospel. There are simply too many unanswered questions regarding the car's history. The car seems to have a lot going for it. The overall condition is quite nice, and it seems to be a higher trim levels and a two door. Those are good things because I can't see anyone restoring the car. It looks as though it could be original, another plus, but definitive interior photos could help. 

As far as flipping it for a profit, good luck. This is not a high end car. In today's market your numbers are questionable. Studebaker owners are notoriously cheap. If it were my car and flipping was my mind set I would get in touch with a local Studebaker Drivers' Club chapter in your area (I see your area code is Kentucky) kind of off the beaten track, but still not too bad. I would try to market it locally first before begin thinking about eBay. It may require some patience to sell your car irrespective of profit. Good luck, it's a nice car I hope you place it in a good home that appreciates it for what it is.

• Like 2

To the right buyer, the car may be a steal at $10,000.00 or $12,000.00. 
All you need to do, as a seller, is to convince yourself that you can afford to maintain the car for the period of time it may take to find the “right” buyer. 
Or, for the “right” buyer to find you.

Of course,  the cost of just getting the car to be operational may be more than a similar car, fully restored, may cost.

To a lot of folks, especially in the younger set, $7500.00 is a lot of money, and that amount will buy a more modern car which will afford them daily transportation.

Personally, just being a Studebaker increases the Blaaaahhhhh! factor simply because it is not a Chevy, Ford or MOPAR.

No part of what I’ve said is meant to diminish the “wow” factor of owning a really neat, and perhaps highly desirable 1952 Studebaker.

Rather, it is meant to state the realistic fact that both me, and my antique cars are getting old, and in the amount of time you take to find the “right” buyer, my collection of antique cars may be part of a estate sale, and sold for Pennie’s on the dollar.

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Graveyard said:

Yes this is true i will buy the car i say in a few days if he still has it.

Good advice all.  Only will add, buy it for yourself if you like it well enough to have it around for a while.  Otherwise, it will come a burden and an irritant to you to have your money tied up in.  Good luck whatever you decide to do.