WISHING WALT GOSDEN LIVED CLOSER TO HERSHEY!!!!!

Steve Moskowitz

Tomorrow I am picking up a treasure load of very early literature.  It also will contain a box with a significant number of pre-war pictures, Pre WW1 and Pre-WW2!!!  It could add a ton of new photos to the thread that Walt started.  I'm not sure we have the time to post many but the ones I saw blew me away!  I know...terrible tease.

• Like 11

SO great to read that AACA has added this treasure trove to their ( thus our) collection. Made my day to read this, should be a high point for all of us.
As I think I have mentioned before - when I started the period photo thread I thought it would last about 5 weeks and fade, I asked a few friends both here in the USA and abroad to contribute to it, it was at a time when the pandemic was rampant and there was no nothing: not car shows, no flea markets, no going to antique stores, no seeing friends at monthly AACA regional meetings or other car club meetings. NUTTIN! Everyone was walking around in a mask. All of us were sad, yes, sad.

I have a lot of odd/crazy ideas as both a car enthusiast, collector, sentimentalist, historian and storyteller ( that's what authors really are, storytellers)

It is all good , the cooperative effort of the AACA and the Society of Automotive Historians at Hershey this year was outstanding - it is all about sharing and preservation of our heritage and history. I was very active in SAH decades ago an have started to be more active in that again, my activity in AACA is by what you have seen here.

I can't help but think when I go to the period images thread here , about one of my favorite movie actors of the same pre WWII era , Mr. O. N. Hardy looking at me and saying "Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into" due to the overwhelming  response  . Continued thanks to AACA and all the moderators, officers, and staff for making this all possible. It is the sharing of a lifetime.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Walt, 

Stan and Ollie have been my favorite comedy team since was a kid.  One of their "two reelers" shorts which I especially like is Hogwild.  It was made & released in the spring of 1930 (93 years ago).

I've owned a Blackhawk Films 16mm print of it since 1970.  The pictorial quality was decent but not the best.  The UCLA Film & Television Archive has recently restored this short...!

The source material was most likely a 35mm studio archive print and the restored image is gorgeous. Note the vast gray scale and sharpness indicating that the transfer was from a source

not far removed from the camera negative.  The sound track is improved too...  I've attached some frames from the restored film. 

Enjoy...

OMG...!  What year is that poor Model T...?  I'm curious about the car.  It appears the self starter was activated by a floor button just ahead of the driver's seat front.  Is that correct

or just a "prop" for visual story telling...?   Culver City in 1930...!  Watch the entire short (~20 minutes)...

Paul

Hogwild 07.jpg

Hogwild 08.jpg

Hogwild 09.jpg

Hogwild 01.jpg

Hogwild 02.jpg

Hogwild 03.jpg

Hogwild 04.jpg

Hogwild 05.jpg

Hogwild 06.jpg

Hogwild 10.jpg

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeez everyone, thanks. Really appreciate your sentiment .

Remember this is about the new addition of material to our AACA library, can't wait to see some photos of the new "pile" acquisitions.

The clarity of that Laurel & Hardy material is amazing - all goes back to original non faded period material , just like the photographs of the vehicles.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pfloro said:

Walt, 

Stan and Ollie have been my favorite comedy team since was a kid.  One of their "two reelers" shorts which I especially like is Hogwild.  It was made & released in the spring of 1930 (93 years ago).

I've owned a Blackhawk Films 16mm print of it since 1970.  The pictorial quality was decent but not the best.  The UCLA Film & Television Archive has recently restored this short...!

The source material was most likely a 35mm studio archive print and the restored image is gorgeous. Note the vast gray scale and sharpness indicating that the transfer was from a source

not far removed from the camera negative.  The sound track is improved too...  I've attached some frames from the restored film. 

Enjoy...

OMG...!  What year is that poor Model T...?  I'm curious about the car.  It appears the self starter was activated by a floor button just ahead of the driver's seat front.  Is that correct

or just a "prop" for visual story telling...?   Culver City in 1930...!  Watch the entire short (~20 minutes)...

Paul

Hogwild 07.jpg

Hogwild 08.jpg

Hogwild 09.jpg

Hogwild 01.jpg

Hogwild 02.jpg

Hogwild 03.jpg

Hogwild 04.jpg

Hogwild 05.jpg

Hogwild 06.jpg

Hogwild 10.jpg

I remember this as a kid on TV.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:17 PM, Walt G said:

Jeez everyone, thanks. Really appreciate your sentiment .

Remember this is about the new addition of material to our AACA library, can't wait to see some photos of the new "pile" acquisitions.

The clarity of that Laurel & Hardy material is amazing - all goes back to original non faded period material , just like the photographs of the vehicles.

Walt,

"Hog Wild"  was a great movie, proving again that the Model T would keep going no matter how abused it was.   Even putting 3 people in the front seat of a Model T was amazing.  Thanks for posting, I watched it twice.