My Hershey 2023 experience

Axial_Flow

I want to share my experience as a first time vendor and first time car show participant.

To preface, I don't recall how many times I have attended Hershey, I think the first time I came was when I was 17 or 18.  Recently, I do not think I have missed one expect the one year it was not held.

For 2023, my Dad and I wanted to set up as a vendor to try to unload some parts we don't need and to set up a "base camp" so we could walk around the other flea market areas and have a place to rest or take a break.

Selling was slow on Tuesday, not a lot of people.  Wednesday and Thursday was much better, a lot more people.  I still only sold maybe 1/8 of the parts I brought to sell, sorta thought I would do better.  Have a plan for next year to be a little more organized and display the parts a little better.  Still had a lot of fun and got to talk to a bunch of nice people.  I ended up finding an item I was really searching for, spare tire carrier for my Model T coupe.

Thursday evening we packed up and left with all our belongings as I was entered into the car show Friday and knew I would not have time to return to the Chocolate Field.

I was not very restful Thursday night, the anticipation of Friday morning was just to great to sleep all that well.  I think I was up around 4:30am to get ready for the day and pick up my Dad on the way back to Hershey for my final time that week.  The weather was a big concern and I was hoping the rain would be over by 8am or so.

I can still remember the first car show I attended at Hershey .  I was blown away by the quality of cars and wide range of cars that attended.  The people lining the streets armed with cameras was simply amazing.  The large crowds of people entering the show field was not something I have ever witnessed before.  It was that moment I was determined to own a car worthy of being shown at Hershey.

Fast forward to last Friday.  Unloading the car and driving past the Giant Center, starting to climb up the hill and entering the show field.  People lining the road, I must have been smiling ear to ear. I have made it to the moment I have dreamed of.  The car show was simply fantastic, it was the perfect ending to a great week.  I was very lucky to have spent this time with my Dad.  I got to hear stories from his past, some I have heard before, but some new ones that I won't forget anytime soon. 

I am really looking forward to next year.  I know by talking to a lot of people, they tell me Hershey isn't what it used to be, or you should have seen it in the good `ol days.  While this might be true, in my experience, I have nothing to complain about (ok, maybe it was a little hot?).  For me, Hershey 2023 was the best yet, and I look forward to the future and getting my own kids involved.

Kind regards  

MicrosoftTeams-image (19).png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t agree more. As a long time vendor, my experience was the same. All the factors were in place for  a great swap meet. I was well organized. It’s difficult to predict the size of the Hershey crowd and their buying habits. Make no mistake, the heat and the cloudless skies made the weather beautiful AND uncomfortable. It certainly held down the crowd. We will try again next year, eh?

i read a comment that the car show should be on Sunday and the swap meet in full bloom on Saturday- so working stiffs and school age children can attend. That won’t happen at Hersheypark, but it would be great to see. IMHO

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

More photos of your Dodge, please.

I only have this one handy at the moment.  I was too busy taking pictures of other people's cars vs mine that day.  Enjoy

ps sorry about the white walls, they will be replaced with black walls once they are worn out…..lol

MicrosoftTeams-image (18).png

Edited by Axial_Flow (see edit history)
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, Durant Mike said:

I don't see anything wrong with white walls! They were period correct.

It's a running joke here with a bunch of the regulars.  Either is correct, but when new they were 95 percent black walls. Great car. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 2:53 PM, Axial_Flow said:

I only have this one handy at the moment.  I was too busy taking pictures of other people's cars vs mine that day.  Enjoy

ps sorry about the white walls, they will be replaced with black walls once they are worn out…..lol

MicrosoftTeams-image (18).png

What year is your Dodge??