1957 Thunderbird Restoration Inquiry

B Jake Moran

I did go down to the Ford Thunderbird subgroup but that last post showed 4-5 months ago.  It does not appear to be active enough. 

I have spotted a 1957 T Bird project on my facebook search.  I believe I have read a few posts in the Buy/Sell Not Mine section that states to avoid most 1955-1957 T Bird projects.  

I did check out the National Club Link down in that subgroup, and it appears robust.  I would expect 55-57 T Birds to have good parts catalog support. 

I don't really want to post photos of the car, because it is in bad shape visually and most members will tell me to pass, which I likely will.  But it keeps coming up in my searches.  Is there a member or two on the forum that is knowledgeable about this era of T Birds?  

Unless the car is an "F" code, supercharged, you can buy a nice driver with a decent body and then restore it to concours cheaper than you can bring one back from the dead.  There are lots of solid cars in the high 20's available and you can get most anything you need.  These cars are cheaper than what a good paint job will be.

• Like 3

They are very attractive cars. Their build quality seems quite a bit below average to other cars of the era, so if the purchase price reflects that reality, pick one up and enjoy it. I’m sure club support and parts is a positive factor for them. 

I think 20K will get you access to a bunch of them if you are patient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice above, imho as someone who has casually tracked these and would consider one, from what I have seen price wise.

If you are hell bent on a project, I will dig up fb link to a 56 5 minutes from my house that has been in a local garage here for decades.  $7 or 8k.  Some rust but complete.  A pass for me but could be a hobbyist restoration candidate.  I have seen worse starts.

• Like 1

Go to the bank and arrange for a 25k loan.  Decide what year and options you want, within a month or two you’ll find a restored, maybe older restoration, but ready to go down the road,  early ‘Bird for that money, then pay the bank 400 a month.

Restore one?  Pay unknown amounts each month, hundreds to thousands, and end up well over the 25k invested.

The above is true, unless you just really love the restoration process, and realize that every step of the restoration process takes three times as long as thought and costs twice the budget.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Go to the bank and arrange for a 25k loan.  Decide what year and options you want, within a month or two you’ll find a restored, maybe older restoration, but ready to go down the road,  early ‘Bird for that money, then pay the bank 400 a month.

Restore one?  Pay unknown amounts each month, hundreds to thousands, and end up well over the 25k invested.

The above is true, unless you just really love the restoration process, and realize that every step of the restoration process takes three times as long as thought and costs twice the budget.

This...... with 1000 thumbs up. 

I had this car for seven or eight years and sold it about five years ago. A nice clean fun driver they looked really attractive 20 feet away but could easily have been detailed and improved as your time and money allowed. It was a #3- car and I doubt if it was to change hands today, if it would  bring 20 grand.

F6AE8207-599B-42AE-B07E-0FD3D94182D4.jpeg.1f059f6d60fb7880c3980c5e65114afb.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks, I speak from experience.  I’ve owned about a dozen early Birds. In 1990 or so, 10-12k would buy one a very nice car.

So, in 30 years,that’s doubled.  Yes, some super restorations or odd options bring more, and free drinks at auctions can cost thousands per sip.

I sold a super nice, both tops, older restoration, 1956, ten years ago, 26k.  I doubt one would get much more than that today.

Early Thunderbirds are like Model A Fords, a commodity, decide what you want and go buy a good one.  

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with the previous comments, especially trimacar's. I don't agree with the comment about lower build quality. Most cars from the 1950's don't have perfect gaps between panels. Anyway, here are a few suggestions if you proceed forward with the idea of purchasing one.

Join your local chapter of CTCI and talk to current owners. Lots of times that can provide leads to good cars that are available at a good price. Sit in one to be sure you fit comfortably. If you are 6'4" and weight 250 lbs it is probably not the car for you. The telescoping steering column helps fit the car to you, but there is not a ton of space to stretch out for a tall person (I am 6'2").

Stay away from cars needing lots of rust repair, for obvious reasons.

The survival rate of these cars is quite high, so look for and get the best one you can afford. Be aware that a car with both hard and soft top is worth more than a car with one or the other. Decide which one you want and go for it. 

Lew Bachman

26 year owner of a 1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

I could not find the listing I referenced above again so I am guessing fb poster took it down.  He also had a Model A coupe listed for around $7,000, also down.  I am not sure if they both sold inside a couple of days or if the poster didn't like fb nonsense.  

In any event, I saw 10 or 12 nice cars from $18k to $32K within a two hour drive.  Of course going just by the ads.  That said I am surprised these cars are not more valuable.  Thinking about a Tbird vs. A C1 vette or 190 SL it has to be image?

The parts situation looks pretty good though, they seem well supported.

Other than it seems to have a fairly rare color (Thunderbird Grey), this car does not have much going for it. The rust showing is bad enough, imagine what it looks like underneath. Doing a complete restoration on this car will put the owner majorly under water. There are better cars out there that you can buy and drive today.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 2

Steve, I understand. I will say this much, the best thing the car has going for it is its price (which is realistic). He does not mention a convertible top, which would really add to the value of the car. From what I can see I don’t think it has one.

As a project, I would not consider it unless I had a chance to make sure the frame is solid with no rust problems. There are patch panels for the body, but the frame is a different matter.

This car looks like a lifetime project for the do-it-yourself auto restorer.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1