State of Minnesota to demolish historic Ford model T factory

Hemi Joel

This beautiful building in St Paul was built by the Ford Motor Company in 1914 for production of model T's and other purposes. In 1952 it was acquired by the State of Minnesota to use as an office building. Sadly they have let it run down from lack of maintenance and are now planning to demolish it. Another piece of history lost.

I wish I could move it on to my property.

Ford-photo-875x463.jpg.a8215a28d2fc62fbd1e61e481044b4e3.jpg

https://finance-commerce.com/2023/10/new-bids-sought-for-demolition-of-ford-building/?utm_term=New bids sought for demolition of Ford building&utm_campaign=U of M seeks building study proposals for Hormel Institute&utm_content=Editorial&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=FNC&email=hemi67gtx@yahoo.com

Edited by Hemi Joel (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fairly soon there will be no significant places of historical interest left! Here in Australia the government puts things as "Historical Listed" to stop that sort of thing happening. All sorts of hoops for owners or developers to jump through to do anything to them. It's one sided though - here we have built in our parklands a police barracks from colonial times that the cops use for their horse mounted branch that is on that list. The government have announced that they are bulldozing it to build a new hospital and there is nothing any protest will do to have them play by the rules the rest of us have to!

Steve

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hemi Joel said:

Sadly they have let it run down from lack of maintenance and are now planning to demolish it.

For that evening arm chair reading study up a little on the financial laws governing capital expenses and operations expenses (school districts in particular). You will have a whole new perspective on counter-intuitiveness.

• Haha 1

Few folks actually take the time

to read the article fully that they

start a topic about and provide a link.

The building was used up until 2004.

Like most buildings of that period

it has lived a useful life and that 

life has come to an end.

IMG_7667.jpeg.038deea05a78050afeff417b1bf3f7d7.jpeg

Jim 

If they would have properly maintained it during their ownership, it would not now need expensive repairs. Or better yet if they would have sold it to someone who would have maintained it.

sign.jpg.8efbaa6cd36c4d33f2913aed1de6a2ac.jpg

Edited by Hemi Joel (see edit history)
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

For that evening arm chair reading study up a little on the financial laws governing capital expenses and operations expenses (school districts in particular). You will have a whole new perspective on counter-intuitiveness.

I deal with the state on a business level. I understand. The expense of renovation projects is about 20% actual value to the building, 80% meeting social and political objectives. But we ought not go there. 

• Like 5

This Ford building is about 6 miles east on University Avenue from the former Duesenberg plant on University that was torn down about 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemi Joel said:

If they would have properly maintained it during their ownership, it would not now need expensive repairs. Or better yet if they would have sold it to someone who would have maintained it.

sign.jpg.8efbaa6cd36c4d33f2913aed1de6a2ac.jpg

Do you have any idea what it costs 

to remove asbestos legally ?

Or lead ?

Why do you think the demolition 

has been delayed ?

Jim

Very happy our local Ford plant (Richmond CA) was taken over by the park service. My little town (Petaluma CA) has three Historic Districts where you are not allowed to alter the exterior of your building without review. History is a tremendous asset to a community and needs to be safeguarded! 

Photo of auto factory across the water.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Like most buildings of that period

it has lived a useful life and that 

life has come to an end.

As one in the engineering and building field, I can assure

car fans that a building like that has a useful life of 

HUNDREDS of years.  Just look at 500-year-old buildings

in Europe.  Should Europe's beautiful buildings have been 

torn down by developers and rebuilt every 60 or 100 years?

I've also noticed that "structural problems" may be an

excuse to the public to tear down a landmark.  What

foundation problems develop in a building like that?

It's unlikely they are insurmountable, if they even exist.

And it is much less expensive to renovate or refurbish

a building than to build the same thing all over again.

It sounds like they are giving excuses only partially valid--

not looking for ways to save a part of history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3