1966 Shelby GT350 Montana $9500 Scam Alert

AJ, whata ya doing this weekend? I will go in halvsies with you, $4500 each way. We can restore it and make a bundle! Now quick, send the guy a $1000 deposit to hold it till we can get there to pick it up. He may even be able to ship it to us for an additional fee!!

45 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

AJ, whata ya doing this weekend? I will go in halvsies with you, $4500 each way. We can restore it and make a bundle! Now quick, send the guy a $1000 deposit to hold it till we can get there to pick it up. He may even be able to ship it to us for an additional fee!!

I paid 10,500 for my Shelby in 1989.  I would get to the convenience store at 10:00 AM every Tuesday because that was 30 minutes after the local want advertiser was delivered for the week.   I called immediately and was the 3rd guy in line.  The first guy offered 9,500, the second guy passed and I gave him the full price.

If we are to believe this ad prices haven't changed in 34 years.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I SAW IT FIRST, Y'ALL WAIT YOUR TURN NOW!

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

I paid 10,500 for my Shelby in 1989.  I would get to the convenience store at 10:00 AM every Tuesday because that was 30 minutes after the local want advertiser was delivered for the week.   I called immediately and was the 3rd guy in line.  The first guy offered 9,500, the second guy passed and I gave him the full price.

If we are to believe this ad prices haven't changed in 34 years.

That was a pretty good deal!!!  I have a buddy with a 69 shelby convertible. He bought it from the original owner in 1973 for what I think he told me was 6500. He said he had to borrow money from his dad to cover it.

8 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

That was a pretty good deal!!!  I have a buddy with a 69 shelby convertible. He bought it from the original owner in 1973 for what I think he told me was 6500. He said he had to borrow money from his dad to cover it.

That was a lot of money for that car in 1973.

Mine was close to market for a car beat to crap in 1989.  And that it was a fastback not a vert.   The convertible was few more shekels in 2000.

281.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JCmolina17 said:

i just spoke to him and he insisted for me to send a deposit via venmo to hold the car for him, they even sent me pictures of them and a drivers lisence of his wife

i can share if the pics if anyone wants

You heard back?  I contacted him via email, he wrote back saying "Please contact me."  But did not provide a phone number.  I emailed back requesting engine pictures and to set a time to look at it this weekend (I'll be 200 miles away this weekend).  Never heard back after that.  

Whatever pictures would be interesting.  

I did once buy a car in a situation like that. I believe it was 1987, just as the collector market was starting to go crazy. Advertised as a "real AC Cobra drag car" for $10K in the used car flyer on the newsstand. I talked to the guy and it sounded legit, but he said he wasn't taking deposits, he said "first one with the money gets it". Contributing to the situation, I was newly single and had just received a surprise check for almost that amount. This was in a small town with one bank, and I knew the manager so he did the transfer for me over the phone.  Silly purchase really...the car was built by a guy named Romeo Palamides, one of the founders of American Racing Wheels, and had an engine from an early Navy jet. but it was a real Cobra body. 

I sold it a few months later and got to say I once owned a Cobra (or at least part of one)

image.png.2ad2d0155f33ddf7ee86dfe11027bc96.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

I did once buy a car in a situation like that. I believe it was 1987, just as the collector market was starting to go crazy. Advertised as a "real AC Cobra drag car" for $10K in the used car flyer on the newsstand. I talked to the guy and it sounded legit, but he said he wasn't taking deposits, he said "first one with the money gets it". Contributing to the situation, I was newly single and had just received a surprise check for almost that amount. This was in a small town with one bank, and I knew the manager so he did the transfer for me over the phone.  Silly purchase really...the car was built by a guy named Romeo Palamides, one of the founders of American Racing Wheels, and had an engine from an early Navy jet. but it was a real Cobra body. 

I sold it a few months later and got to say I once owned a Cobra (or at least part of one)

image.png.2ad2d0155f33ddf7ee86dfe11027bc96.png

Now that deserves its own thread.

• Like 3