1974 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu factory 454 , m21 muncie 4-spd $24,500

I'm a sucker for these and always wanted one.  You see the four speed 73/74 about once a year for sale.    This is not too far away but the "uprated" comment (look under the hood) and the accessories gauges turn me.   Wow am I a car snob.

Otherwise looks decent.  If he has paperwork he should have posted it too.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/dover-1974-chevelle-malibu-coupe/7666131278.html

1974 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2dr coupe factory ordered 454 , m21 muncie 4-spd with a hurst shifter and a 342 posi plus high back swivel buckets. This car is mostly original and in great condition with low mileage. The engine and also the rear gears have been enhanced. This is a numbers matching well preserved classic muscle car. I do have lots of info and records on this car. Please call if interested. $24,500

image.jpeg.24f8e131ba1adbbd579fcd100e5fc260.jpeg

image.jpeg.0ed9cc82299eab75a6ea7685bdf67988.jpeg

image.jpeg.9d0749ea9be1a721d205721e2b14d9cd.jpeg

Most of that underhood frippery is easy to get rid of, but the tall rocker covers might be hiding something not so easily undone. Could have hidden that MSD box better too, and doesn't look like a particularly waterproof spot for it.

Tough for me to understand why someone would order a 454/4-speed/3.42 and not spring another few bucks for gages. But my 74 Hurst/Olds was built without them too.

• Like 1

Colonnades are horrible for rusting. GM wasn't using the best sheetmetal in the 70s.

I'm not seeing that kind of money on Colonnades, not even Hurst/Oldsmobiles which are top of the pecking order in these cars. Buick was still producing Stage 1 thru 1974 but people don't appreciate those either, if they even know they exist.

Colonnades are nice cars and with standard suspension would outhandle any 64-72 GM A-body built, even 442 which built its reputation on outhandling the others. They were cursed with clumsy bumpers, low quality sheetmetal, extra weight and de-rated performance. But I liked them 50 years ago and still do.

• Like 1

Yeah, still regretting selling my 71 Camaro and moving to 73 Monte Carlo in 82.  The swivel buckets, AC, power sunroof and assorted gadgets were super cool, for maybe a week or two.  Issue was those things wore out quicker than on cars today.  At 50, 60k miles it all started to go.  Then came the lower front fender rust holes, tiny at first...

This one does look pretty darn good though.  I might be inclined to change the braided line out but a decent set of chrome valvecovers & air cleaner would suit this car I think.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yeah, still regretting selling my 71 Camaro and moving to 73 Monte Carlo in 82.  The swivel buckets, AC, power sunroof and assorted gadgets were super cool, for maybe a week or two.  Issue was those things wore out quicker than on cars today.  At 50, 60k miles it all started to go.  Then came the lower front fender rust holes, tiny at first...

This one does look pretty darn good though.  I might be inclined to change the braided line out but a decent set of chrome valvecovers & air cleaner would suit this car I think.

You should have asked me.  That is going in the wrong direction any day of the week.

I wonder what the seller has for paperwork?

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Monte Crappo didn't stay with me long, AJ!!  😁

But on this one, how does it stack up to the firethorn red TA?  Different cars with this one maybe more unusual but those 75, 76 TAs are really well styled to my eye anyway.

Kerry will tell you to forget the 75.  Ugly bumpers.    The firethorn Trans Am I posted is definitely more desirable than this Chevelle.   But it won't go for 25k either.

I call the 68-72 muscle cars the "1 of 1" crowd.  I just roll my eyes.  If those salt and peppered hair, beer gut guys in Scottsdale want to drop $300,000 on a Hemi Cuda (or fill in the blank), OK.  But I was born in 1964 and saw these Colonnades on the street in the late 70's albeit rusting away.  

I appreciate this 454 has been tweaked but that's exactly what I would do.  Pull the motor, make it a 1970 454, and place it back in there appearing stock, but with 400 + horsepower.  All could be done for less than $35,000 all in.  Then be the only one at the show n shine.