72 and 75 driving speeds

BlueDevil

My guess is that there is very little difference between a S72 and a S75. Almost same engine, same gears available in the rear. However, some of them had a 3,9 rear and others had 4,3 (maybe even 4,6) that would make a difference. I am hoping to achieve 60 mph cruising with the S75 I am currently restoring (3,9 rear). My S65 with 4,3 rear is comfortable at 45 mph and will do 55 mph as verified by GPS. Transmission vibrations has stopped my attempts to gain and maintain 65 mph as advertised back in 1929 for the S65. By the way, has anyone a cure for transmission vibrations??

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)

My coupe had 4.3.  The pinion failed - a known issue.  I replaced with 3.9 from a 72 - it does run faster and lower RPM.  I might try a bit higher speed but it just seems nice 35-40 - it can do 45 ( easily) but why race?  I stay at the 35-45 range - maybe from habit?   

It looks good motoring down the road.   It is extraordinarily fetching -IMO - and I feel wonderful driving it.

I had it 55-60 with the 4.3 - didnt like it.  

What mpg do folks get?  I get 12-14.  I drive in areas with hills though.

Narve,

I am inquisitive, You said you had transmission vibrations. Is it in all gears?

I would suspect flywheel/clutch/drive shaft for vibrations. There is not much in those gearboxes to vibrate, lost tooth maybe could cause or a bad bearing or maybe rear engine/trans mount to chassis?

I just want to be sure I am checking everything before I put it back together.

Bill

On 9/21/2023 at 4:14 PM, Narve N said:

By the way, has anyone a cure for transmission vibrations??

My car had several sources of noise and vibrations when I first put it on the road after its restoration. Apparently one of the valve lifters has an uneven surface and repeated attempts to adjust the valve clearance have not silenced the valve clatter at low RPM. An all-new propeller shaft with more modern universal joint helped a lot against vibrations in general, but I still feel there is a humming noise/vibration coming from the transmission.  That vibration disappear when I press the clutch and becomes annoying at higher RPM. Suspect transmission bearings at either end. I might try to replace the entire transmission this winter to see if that cures it (have a few spares).

Anyhow I am very interested in what anyone else has experienced.

Enclosed photo from my participation in a low key hill climb with the otherwise bone stock Series 65. It was a lot of fun and paintwork did not suffer much. Note rumble step pads on left rear as this Candian-built car originally was a RHD for the UK market

CR220827VassumbakkenfotoBjrnLahus(1).jpg.169886aaa7bf2ebc0856ddd89abbe136.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Not just the brakes, also the suspension, steering, wood spoke wheels, cross ply tyres, etc. You won't know what is a comfortable safe cruising speed until you drive it.

I do a lot of driving, almost every day, only drive on suburban streets at no more than 30mph. Driving it like a modern car is a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 5:20 AM, tcslr said:

What mpg do folks get?  I get 12-14.  I drive in areas with hills though.

I get 17mph whether its on hills or flat ground, it doesn't seem to matter.

As an aside, on a trip to Adelaide a few years ago in convoy (1928 Dodge Tourer, 1929 Chrysler 75 Sedan, 1934 Chrysler drop head coupe, 1936 Chrysler sedan and a 1936 Chrysler coupe) all 5 cars used almost identical amounts of fuel. And of course the US gallon is smaller than the imperial gallon.