How to remove 25” wire wheels

dbtravis

I’m working on a 1917 with 25” wire wheels. I believe they are Hayes, but unsure about that or the size model number (any identifying info would be appreciated).  I’d like to pack the wheel bearings but I can’t seem to get the center caps that hold the wheel to unscrew.  They seem stuck.  I’ve pressed down the locking tab with a screwdriver.  I’ve even purchased a socket so I can use a breaker bar.   I believe one side has reverse threads but I’m second guessing myself on which side that is.  However, they don’t budge regardless of which way I try to turn them.  I’ve tried with the car on jacks and on the ground.  They seem stuck, but I’m wondering if there’s a trick I’m overlooking or any tips?  I don’t even know where I’d start spraying penetrating fluid.  Any ideas/help or info on these is appreciated!  - Travis 

photo of left front wheel.  I put electrical tape around the center hub cap to try to cushion it from the wrench.  

IMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpeg

41 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

That little tab pushes against a spring loaded wire to disengage teeth that keep cap from coming off. Good luck. The wire could be made over easily but the teeth not so much. 

I had some laser cut from brass sheet a while back for Houk wheels. Works well but I did need to file the angle portion by hand. Drawing them up in CAD was the hardest part (and thats fairly easy).

• 2 months later...

Guys, The original Houk Hayes hubcap wrench fits snugly on the hex of the cap and automatically depresses that lock tab. What is that black goop? By the way you should note the spare wheel Hubcap is Aluminum Not brass and is inscribed "FOR SPARE ONLY"  Good Luck