Can you recommend source for trunk lining?

ericisback

Lots of post on G1 Trunks.

Here's one:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/401496-trunk-liner-for-1963-riviera/#comment-2564400

Cutting to the chase, I believe Jenkins is what you want for the liner, not the cardboard:

https://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

Still, no one has shared the trick to line the contours of the wheel well. I messed-up.

Also, where to source the spring and clip for my 1963 bumper jack?

TX.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:45 PM, XframeFX said:

Lots of post on G1 Trunks.

Here's one:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/401496-trunk-liner-for-1963-riviera/#comment-2564400

Cutting to the chase, I believe Jenkins is what you want for the liner, not the cardboard:

https://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

Still, no one has shared the trick to line the contours of the wheel well. I messed-up.

Also, where to source the spring and clip for my 1963 bumper jack?

TX.

I purchased my trunk liner from CARS, Inc. Old Buick Parts. I don't recall having any troubles getting the pieces on the wheel to fit well and fit flat. I'm sure it was not because of my brilliance as an installer. I can only think that it was because the pieces were formed correctly for a nice fit.

Bill

17 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

I can only think that it was because the pieces were formed correctly for a nice fit.

Bill, so the wheel well pieces were pre-cut and formed to the contours? I had to cut Vee slits to form the contour knowing full well those Vee slits would be unsightly. Also, a spot of contact cement saturated through.

My 35 year old Liner was in a roll, not pre-cut.

I goofed at the bottom of both wheel wells as well, Purchased a contour gauge for when/if I re-do.

Awful:

image.png.a7977c659e7e0c3a14f5e7668c5adb1d.png

image.png.d25b3344310aa9923957d9a5d7983ba7.pngimage.png.5003e3f0642378ecbe22d0168db72657.png

image.png.39fa720cbe6e759b90dc03e564783638.png

16 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Bill, so the wheel well pieces were pre-cut and formed to the contours? I had to cut Vee slits to form the contour knowing full well those Vee slits would be unsightly. Also, a spot of contact cement saturated through.

My 35 year old Liner was in a roll, not pre-cut.

I goofed at the bottom of both wheel wells as well, Purchased a contour gauge for when/if I re-do.

Awful:

image.png.a7977c659e7e0c3a14f5e7668c5adb1d.png

image.png.d25b3344310aa9923957d9a5d7983ba7.pngimage.png.5003e3f0642378ecbe22d0168db72657.png

image.png.39fa720cbe6e759b90dc03e564783638.png

Yes, there were 4 pieces. The 2 wheel wells, the piece for the shelf and the main floor piece. The piece for the main floor had a stiff fiberboard backing. The wheel well pieces has a slit cut toward the top which is not visible as it is covered by cardboard covering the trunk hinges.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

The piece for the main floor had a stiff fiberboard backing.

Fiberboard for the whole floor? Would this make it oversize shipping? I used a left over sheet of Dynamat upside down under the liner for the floor. In my image, you can still see the stamping through the liner. The hump between the hinges has Dynamat applied normally.

Maybe I can salvage my botched installation by binding the edges instead of my futile attempt to butt edges from each piece?

Not expecting perfection, just a more professional look.

Thanks!

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

Fiberboard for the whole floor? Would this make it oversize shipping? I used a left over sheet of Dynamat upside down under the liner for the floor. In my image, you can still see the stamping through the liner. The hump between the hinges has Dynamat applied normally.

Maybe I can salvage my botched installation by binding the edges instead of my futile attempt to butt edges from each piece?

Not expecting perfection, just a more professional look.

Thanks!

I bought mine before shipping got so idiotic.

Bill

My botched trunk liner using repro original matrial now looks worse. I noticed the trunk is WET . . . again! This after replacing all seals using quality products from Steele Rubber.

Where is water entering?

Riviera, every issue is a 3X attempt!

I don't care for originality. Like the original liner, the repro is fragile, foam backing sheds easily. That Kit from Clark's Corvair is next!

On 9/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, Riviera63 said:

bought mine before shipping got so idiotic.

Bill, You know the solution to shipping. Just follow the rules and save 50%.

Folks have their preference and it is still a great country. Freight consolidators and freight forwarders use the same carriers we all do except for less money. There is no sense in over spending. Buyers try and carve sellers up on price of parts then piss money away on shipping. There are instances when a particular carrier is preferred because the carrier provides a special level of service. At one time USPS delivered parcels on Sunday via  Express Mail. ( I’m not certain USPS still offers that service or not, but at one time they did)

Nothing like knowing the business of doing business.( Has a ring, doesn’t it?)

Turbinator

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

My botched trunk liner using repro original matrial now looks worse. I noticed the trunk is WET . . . again! This after replacing all seals using quality products from Steele Rubber.

Where is water entering?

Riviera, every issue is a 3X attempt!

I don't care for originality. Like the original liner, the repro is fragile, foam backing sheds easily. That Kit from Clark's Corvair is next!

John, did you remove the moulding that surrounds the rear window? I’m not trying to be a smart elick. The reason I asked as I’m on my third attempt. First leak was through the rear tail lights. I fixed that. Second leak was plugged with a dab of silicone. Third attempt required removal of the metal band that lies between the trunk and rear window. I took the metal bank off, cleaned the trough and plugged the valley with strip caulk ( 3M). Steele rubber weather stripping was put in the trunk closure area.

At this point I’m leaning toward taking the car to an independent glass shop I know. Let them take the window out and solve the problem. Another expense, but I really like the car.

Turbinator

On 9/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, ericisback said:

Can anyone recommend a good source (link) to purchase a replacement trunk lining for 65 Riv. Would love for my trunk to look like this:

IMG_8900.jpeg.79b96ae8d78003e7da006f1da1595130.jpeg

Hill Jenkins will send you a kit made up to fit your trunk. Make an appointment with a local independent auto upholstery shop and have them install the kit. The clips that hold the board in are really hard to find. Real hard. The Jack spring holder clip… are available. Try Gene Guarnere for the Jack hardware.

music_man_jetliner@yahoo.com

Turbinator

• 1 month later...