1915 Continental 6N engine - oil pump issue

PFindlay

Is anyone familiar with this oil pump?  It's on the side of my 1915 Continental 6N engine.  The casting number is 6AL-319.  It's not a full pressure system so it just puts out about 3 psi to distribute the oil to the mains.  But now it's not.

I've checked and confirmed that the plunger is riding on the camshaft lobe and everything is clean and free.

Is there something that I've missed?

Peter

IMG_1772.JPG.0b7c67befa9faaf80c50aa17281600ba.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG.aeb42285491eb69e21f04ca416c8aa6b.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG.f354336f7e74842b00acfa634f900799.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG.c807566ac892f52d2e9eb0d8f0f6d0df.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG.9df09a3515baf0bdb517e911c9868c7d.JPG

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)

1 hour ago, PFindlay said:

Or, could it be something else that I've missed?

Is the ball bearing part of a valve that controls how much oil is let through? Is it possible that's worn and is letting too much past?

Not Continental but I have worked on similar and they are usually pretty simple to fix. Not sure about the diaphragms you mention. Essentially you have the check ball and the check valve and the plunger. 

When the plunger is pushed out by the spring it draws oil in through the check ball and when the plunger is pushed in the oil goes out through the check valve. The only real wear to check is the plunger in it's sleeve and the seating of the ball and valve. You should be able to just push it by hand or with pliers with a pipe in a can of oil and check the operation.  They have to be primed with oil or smeared up with grease before they will start pumping.  Check for other issues like an air leak in the suction line too. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Oldtech said:

You should be able to just push it by hand or with pliers with a pipe in a can of oil and check the operation.  They have to be primed with oil or smeared up with grease before they will start pumping.

Thanks.  I wondered about priming it.  I added a little oil but maybe I'll give it more and thicker - after I test it in a can.

Hi Peter

The Continental engine in your Russel is a nearby version to the one in my 1914 Hudson. Hudson used a very similar version of Continental 6 from 1914 to early 1916 when it was then replaced with the 1916 Hudson Super Six which Hudson then built themselves.

Here is a picture of the pump on my Hudson engine for comparison.

One time I was out on a drive and when restarting to leave the parking lot I noticed a lack of oil pressure. Fortunately taking it off in the parking lot and cleaning it restored function and I was able to drive it home afterward.

Some additional thoughts. Check the oil line to the oil pressure gauge. It’s a dead end line and can sludge up with age and not read the oil pressure correctly. Also, the check valve balls/pistons can gum and stick. The springs also need to be good to hold the ball/piston tight enough that it produces suction from the sump. When in good condition, it will self prime on the starter after the oil has been changed and refilled. There is also a filter screen in the sump which needs to be clean for the oil to get through and be drawn up into the pump. Its tedious to check though, you have to drop the oil pan to get to it.

Here are some excerpts from the Hudson service bulletins and parts book that covers the oil pump on the Hudson 6-40 Continental engine that may help with your service and repair process.

Drive Safe

Jeff

Hudson oil pump.jpg

Hudson 640 oil pump ill and desc_0001.jpg

Hudson 640 oil pump ill and desc_0002.jpg

Hudson 640 oil pump ill and desc_0003.jpg

Hudson 640 oil pump parts_0001.jpg

Hudson 640 oil pump parts_0002.jpg

4 hours ago, gungeey said:

car manual.jpeg

Actually it should have added " ... and post on the AACA Forum."   Thanks guys, problem solved.  Special thanks to Jeff in Nova Scotia for posting the manual pages.  Once I saw the cutaway shot I could see the problem -  I wasn't letting the check ball fall down into its little pocket.  Chalk this one up to operator error.

Peter

• Like 2