Should I move this post to the Humor section? This Burnt-Out Crumpled Ferrari Sold For $1.8 Million

Twisted Shifter

5 hours ago, Scooter Guy said:

The balled-up Ferrari is certainly an interesting conversation piece. 

I'm not sure that it was purchased with the intention of being restored or if it ever will be. 

I actually see it less like a restoration candidate and more as being a static display piece in as-is condition, almost like a sculpture, in a multi-vehicle collection.  

If thought of that way and compared to works and prices in the contemporary/modern/industrial art world for large scale pieces and "installations," then $1.8M is a relative bargain. 

Or, I guess the buyer could spend a ton more and forever be the guy that restored the wrecked Ferrari. 

If someone sees the wrecked Ferrari carcass as art, he should be very interested in this "Yellow Buick" at the MOMA in New York City, (artist: César Baldaccini, 1961)The art of scrap metal and expanding foam | Apollo Magazine

• Like 1

12 hours ago, West Peterson said:

John Woolfe ran to his 917 Porsche at the famous Le Mans running start in 1969, hopped in, closed the door and took off without strapping himself in to save time. He crashed and died in the first lap. This 1969 Porsche 917 was built relatively recently, replicating the John Woolfe car. Interestingly, John Woolfe's original serial number plate was used during the build (917-005). Ironically, when the car was finished a few years ago and run at the Le Mans Classic, it was involved in a serious crash. I wonder what it's value is (after re-restoration) compared to other more original 917 Porsches.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 7.51.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 7.57.21 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 7.48.46 AM.png

With race cars it does not seem to effect value nearly as much as with road cars. { as long as no one died } Major shunts just seem to come with the territory when dealing with vintage racers. It's nice to have one that isn't a ground up { chassis plate up } rebuild , but if you are actually going to use it on the track chances are quite a bit of the car is going to be much more recently fabricated than the original build date anyway. But I get the impression a driver death does effect things to some degree .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Great, probably insured so we all lost half a million!😡

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

If someone sees the wrecked Ferrari carcass as art, he should be very interested in this "Yellow Buick" at the MOMA in New York City, (artist: César Baldaccini, 1961)The art of scrap metal and expanding foam | Apollo Magazine

Goldfinger comes to mind!  

Except it was a baled Lincoln.

Craig

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 7:50 AM, edinmass said:

What makes anyone think the sale number was real? After fifty years of watching old car auctions, the only certainty is the blur between fact and fiction. I looked it over closely. In my humble opinion there was no car there, and there was no “project” there. No serious collectors wants a car that was so publicly displayed in that condition to be in their garage. It’s either a marketing gimmick of some sort of self promotion. Got two million for a random pile of scrap, and another two million to assemble it and make it drive? Then you have the money to buy a decent car………weather a millionaire or a “B” nobody, and I mean nobody throws money away like that on a car.

This is the answer! 

I've been going to car dealer auctions since I was 12 with my Grampa. That coupled with "reality TV" and seeing some of the so-called big buck "sold" cars returning to dealer auctions 6 months later makes me a slight bit skeptical!